PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How can Copeland say with a straight face...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How can Copeland say with a straight face...

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:39 pm

...in the Mustang Club flyer that I got today, that he loves telling his AD buddies that SMU has "...some of the most loyal fans." Who is he talking about? Those of us on Ponyfans.com? The loyal 1500? Anyone?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:59 pm

I think it is the 1500...anyplace else with our past would have zero fans at this point...ziltch.
PK

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:33 pm

key word is "some" and you are right, that's undoubtedly a reference to the 1500.

South Carolina football has the most loyal fans I've ever run across. Who else would be able to pack 75,000 in every Saturday to watch a team go 0-11? They did it not too many years ago and that isn't exactly a program that goes bowling year-in-year-out. Of course, they graduate 3 times the number we do every year. Assuming we have 1/3 the number of living graduates and had as many fanatics (to scale) as S.C, I guess we'd always be able to count on a crowd of 25,000 at Ford...even in an 0-12 year!!!

Don't knock Copeland for giving credit to our most loyal fans.
Charleston Pony

Loyal Fans

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:17 pm

After all that SMU athletics has gone through for the past 20 years, the remaining fans are VERY LOYAL. Personally, I appreciate Jim Copeland's comments. The key issue isn't the loyality of the fans, but the number of those fans. Never a large number, the remaining fans really need to have some FB/BB success. When our most famous games tend to be losses (Holiday Bowl, ND in 49, WAC BB championship game vs. Keith Van Horn), we really need some good things to happen, besides high graduation rates.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Return to Football