PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where were the Squires last weekend?!?!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Where were the Squires last weekend?!?!

Postby Rambo » Fri Nov 30, 2001 1:25 pm

I was very happy at the beginning of the football season to see a group of enthusiastic students band together to support SMU football. The Squires seemed to add a little excitement to home football games, whether it was from seeing them cheer or seeing them get busted for bringing liters of Beam. I could only guess that they were trying to make a spirit group of their own that would hold a little tradition, like the Cowboys at UT. Any resemblence to the Cowboys was quickly dismissed when at later games only 3 or 4 showed and then and the final game, NONE were present. This tells me that the Squires are simply looking for attention, for people to praise them for being spirited. They aren't fans at all! Do ANY of the Cowboys EVER miss a game. Hell no they don't! It's part of the deal. They commit to support UT football, come hell or high water. What gives fellas? I say let Rogers and his sidekick sit down there with the bell or something, or other noise maker, for every game. We know he will be at every game, rain or shine, 11 am or 6 pm, Rice or Fresno State. Next year I say that the administration should only give the Squires the benefit of sitting in the endzone if they can commit to being there EVERY GAME. I would rather have 1 or 2 superfans their everygame, than have 20 at 1 game, 3 at another, and none at yet another.

I hope that Diamond M, Eddie P. and the rest of you that unconditionally support the Ponies don't feel left out. I think that Diamond M would rather sit in her kick-ass seats and that Eddie would rather pace around and mingle at the games. The vantage point from the endzone isn't the greatest.

PS My hats off to Cavan for not tucking tail. Thanks for your hard work Mike.

[This message has been edited by Rambo (edited 11-30-2001).]
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Re: Where were the Squires last weekend?!?!

Postby ponyjim » Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:26 pm

Well,
Most of those guys went to boarding schools and are not from Texas. Most of them are from out of state, namely the east coast. The "Cowboys" are pretty much all from Texas.
So over Thanksgiving, it is isn't feasible for the Squires to fly back to Dallas so early. They want to spend time with their respective families that most of them haven't seen since August.
Cowboys have more chances to see their families and can easily travel to the game and back home inside the state of Texas.

Sio instead of giving the Squires hell for their lack of presence over the Thanksgiving game, why don't we thank them for taking some initiative to start a new club of SMU Football fans. Why [deleted] and moan?

Thank you, Squires. Even I know that you can't be 100% all the time.
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Return to Football