PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NEW COACH???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NEW COACH???

Postby stang_nm » Sun Dec 02, 2001 3:57 pm

We need this new coach as soon as possible before we lose any more recruits. It needs to happen soon...Any news on who is likely and who is out of the picture?
stang_nm

Re: NEW COACH???

Postby PK » Sun Dec 02, 2001 6:27 pm

The rumor mill has it that the selection is down to three or four and that a decision could be forthcoming this week. Hope that is true.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:24 am

I'm thinking the names that are legitimately still on the list are:
Gerry DiNardo
Hardee McCrary
Phil Bennett
Norm Chow
and maybe that guy from William & Mary
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby ProudPonyPa » Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:44 am

Charlie Waters interviewed last Wednesday. Is he out of it?
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:11 pm

Sorry - didn't mean to leave Charlie Waters off my list. I think he's still in it, although I believe he's on the B list of candidates.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Mac » Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:49 pm

I like the idea of Hardee McCrary only because he is the recruiting cordinator for Texas but how good will he be at recruiting kids to SMU? I don't know a whole lot about him, only what I have read of the Texas football site. Sounds good but is that the direction we want to be going?

I don't understand why Waters has slid into the so-called B class of choices? Someone please tell me what is going on.
Mac
Scout Team

Postby PK » Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:32 pm

I've heard that Copland is wanting someone heavy on the Offensive side experience wise, but that begs the question of why he would want to interview the two UT guys. My heart is with Charlie Waters at this point. I just like what he had to say in his interview with the Star Telegram reporter. I would just hate to have a series of stepping stone coaches....I want someone who is interested in staying around enough to really work at it. I would bet that he could come up with a great OC to cover that end of things.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Mac » Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:07 pm

PK,

Do you have any insight to who Waters would hire at OC if he got the position? I am big on Waters only because I do think he would be at SMU for the long haul, but also because I hope his name would bring some media attention and big time recruits. However, I don't see McCrary or Chow looking at this job as a stepping stone. Both of those guys are getting up there in age and I don't see them leaving to go anywhere unless they did an awful job and got the ax.

I really don't want Laycock. I know that is unfair only because I don't know much about him but I really don't want a no-namer. I am still big on Holtz, Spurrier Jr., or Mike Stoops but I think all three of those guys are looking for stepping stone jobs. Who knows, maybe Waters will get the job and then hire Stoops as his DC and Spurrier as his OC. Maybe in a perfect world.
Mac
Scout Team

Postby PK » Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:29 pm

Sorry Mac, I do not have any insight as to who he might call up for the OC possition. I just took it from what was said in the article that with his contacts among pro and ex-pro players he would probably be able to find some top notch people.

BTW, does the opening caused by Bob Davies' firing at ND throw any wrinkles in Copelands quest? It might be to Charlie Waters' advantage.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 12-03-2001).]
PK

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:03 pm

I highly doubt the Notre Dame job will have any effect on the SMU search. No candidate on their list is on ours, and no candidate on our list is on theirs.

If there's two finalists left, as I hear is the case, I guess they'd be .... Gerry DiNardo and Charlie Waters. If that's the case, welcome to Dallas, Coach DiNardo.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:10 pm

Not so fast my friend. Earlier reports on this board indicated the LSU fans were glad to see him go. Is that what we want here???

How about welcome to SMU Coach Waters?!?
PK

Postby Mac » Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:55 pm

The only thing enticing about Dinardo is that he could give us some media, but at the same time he COACHED IN THE XFL. That is not something that SMU needs. The guy didn't do well at Vanderbilt so what makes people think he is going to do well at SMU? Hopefully Copeland will know better.

Why does everyone think Dinardo is going to be the next coach?
Mac
Scout Team

Return to Football