PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1,745 Members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:27 pm

EastStang wrote:

Living in Virginia, I am a member of the Mustang Club (not that it does me any good out here), but I joined anyway three years ago to help out the school. I hope that will help me get a couple of tickets to the Aggie game (because I am planning a business trip) for that weekend.

My situation is similar. I live in the northeast and have been a member of the Mustang Club since graduation. If I lived near Dallas I would purchase football and basketball season tickets and also attend some soccer matches and swimming & diving meets.

Since I'm not in Ford Stadium, Moody Coliseum, Westcott Field or Perkins Natatorium as often as I would like, being a member of the Mustang Club allows me to support SMU Athletics.

Welcome to the new MC members - abezontar, MrMustang1965 and BornRed&Blue.

Who else is going to join?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re:

Postby UConn/SMU » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:08 pm

DiamondM wrote:the half time reception gives you a place to go to escape the tarted up pre-pubescent girls with hot pants and bare midriffs shimmying and pelvic thrusting through half time. Can any parent of an 11 year old explain why they allow this to happen to their daughters?

It's the Britney Spears/Jonbenet Ramsey syndrome. The parents are more interested in having their kids win trophies for "dance" than succeed in academics. It's sad. Very sad.
Always a Connecticut Yankee, but happy in Texas since January 1986.
UConn/SMU
Scout Team

Postby UConn/SMU » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:14 pm

I've bought 4 season-tickets for football the last 5 years. I was also a member of the Mustang Club back when I was married.

Now I'm divorced and I'm barely surviving (child-support payments suck - especially since the kids are with me more than my ex-wife!).

I'll try to keep the season tickets & re-join the Mustang Club, but I don't know if I can.
Always a Connecticut Yankee, but happy in Texas since January 1986.
UConn/SMU
Scout Team

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:23 pm

Back in the day (1980's) Mustang Club membership exceeded 10,000 to give you some comparison of where we have been before. I was one of the 10,000+ and am still one of the 1,700
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby FLORIDAGUY » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:31 pm

I live a long way from "The Hilltop" and am a Gloden Mustang. SMU was a very important experience in my life and I am proud to be a memner of the Mustang Club. My father and my garndfather were chater members. I am committed to helping it grow. Every year I ahve been able to supply the names of potential new members I and happy to say most have joined. Mustangs from regions away from Dallas please find fellow alumni and get them imvolved! It could make a huge difference.
FLORIDAGUY
Recruit

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:11 pm

FLORIDA GUY & others: your post got me thinking. Does the Mustang Club have a "closer" of sorts or other rep that we can give names of potential 'recruits' to?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby Peruna88 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:54 pm

RGV Pony wrote:FLORIDA GUY & others: your post got me thinking. Does the Mustang Club have a "closer" of sorts or other rep that we can give names of potential 'recruits' to?

Forward those names to Chris Walker or Scott Secules. They will be happy to follow up. You can reach them through the Mustang Club office at 214.768.2582.

And everyone should remember that every little bit helps - even at the $50 level. If you would like more information about Mustang Club membership, call Chris at the number above or feel free to send me a PM through this site.

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Re:

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:21 am

Diehard Pony wrote:Back in the day (1980's) Mustang Club membership exceeded 10,000 to give you some comparison of where we have been before. I was one of the 10,000+ and am still one of the 1,700

Does anybody recall how many students were MC members back in the 80's?

Is there a push during enrollment process to encourage the incoming freshman to join? I know MC has a booth presence at Mustang Days, etc., but is there a true effort to get the kids involved?

Maybe offer an initial discount or have a special brunch for student members only with coaching staff?
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:31 am

Given the choice, as a student, I would think my $50 "membership fee" would have gone to The Green Elephant Club, Cardinal Puff's Club or the ATO Club. It would take a hard core/die hard SMU student-fan to join. As a student, I always thought the Mustang Club was for blue/gray hairs... now I am one.
Bergermeister

Re:

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:50 am

Bergermeister wrote:Given the choice, as a student, I would think my $50 "membership fee" would have gone to The Green Elephant Club, Cardinal Puff's Club or the ATO Club. It would take a hard core/die hard SMU student-fan to join. As a student, I always thought the Mustang Club was for blue/gray hairs... now I am one.

You're right, BMeister, that is the perception.

But the time to get MC members is the first day, not the day after graduation.

To anser that blue/gray hair perception, perhaps there should be a 'Spinoff' of MC offered to the student body. Re-packaging, if you will.
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:22 pm

That is a terrific idea. Pitch it/market it... if there could be a couple of student-friendly perks associated with membership (and not just 5 free wings at Pluckers) it could catch on. Club Mustang.
Bergermeister

Re:

Postby BrianTinBigD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:39 pm

UConn/SMU wrote:
DiamondM wrote:the half time reception gives you a place to go to escape the tarted up pre-pubescent girls with hot pants and bare midriffs shimmying and pelvic thrusting through half time. Can any parent of an 11 year old explain why they allow this to happen to their daughters?

It's the Britney Spears/Jonbenet Ramsey syndrome. The parents are more interested in having their kids win trophies for "dance" than succeed in academics. It's sad. Very sad.

Whoa There! I have a daughter who is in a dance company. She is 12 and in "Junior" company. Most outfits worn for competition are rather mundane but there is the occasional outfit that is a little risque.

Dance is no different for my daughter than for other kids that play select sports like soccer, baseball, or hockey. She puts in 15 hours a week with her "sport" but must always maintain A's and high B's or she drops dance. Those are the rules.

As for the skill level of the girls and guys in this company, they are pretty darn good and more entertaining than the SMU Dance Squad.

Also, I don't like the blanket implication that all girls in dance want to be Britney Spears or are Joan Benet Ramsay starter kits. That would be no different than me accusing all poeple in "Band" as being pimpled face geeks that sit around all day long playing with their instrument.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby BrianTinBigD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:41 pm

As for the cost of the Mustang Club it is cheaper to be a member than to pay the ridiculous prices for sub par food at Moody.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 pm

BrianTinBigD: I hope your daughter isn't a member of the so-called 'dance company' that performed at the SMU v. Boise State b-ball game the other night. They were AWFUL! Someone - somewhere - is bilking a lot of parents!
MrMustang1965

Re:

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:01 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:BrianTinBigD: I hope your daughter isn't a member of the so-called 'dance company' that performed at the SMU v. Boise State b-ball game the other night. They were AWFUL! Someone - somewhere - is bilking a lot of parents!

In defense of Dance Team:
After watching a half of Boise State BB, it is probably hard to get in any rhythm...
SWC2010
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football