PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1,745 Members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

1,745 Members

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:43 pm

Today, I read some mail sitting on my desk. Included was a January 2005 letter from Mark L. Meyer, President, SMU Mustang Club to Mustang Club members. Although SMU had significant accomplishments in the Olympic sports during 2003-2004, a number from the 2004 Mustang Club Morgan Campaign results caught my eye --- 1,745 members.

That is an unacceptably low number of Mustang Club members.

Other than being a Mustang Club member I have no official or unofficial relationship with the Mustang Club...but I am asking any Ponyfans.com member who isn't a member of the Mustang Club to please consider joining.

SMU Athletics needs your support!
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby SWC2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Does anyone have comparative member numbers on TCU & Baylor as to their versions of Mustang Club?
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:42 pm

What's more, I think each of us who is a Mustang Club member should challenge themselves to recruit one new member this year. I've taken the first step & pitched the idea at lunch with a 'recruit' last Thursday, and I know I'll succeed. If I can pull it off in the RGV, it shouldn't be a problem in DFW.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby that's great raplh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:49 pm

what is the benefit to the school?

What is the benefit to the football program?

How much does it cost?
that's great raplh

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:00 pm

Benefit to school: A means by which to lessen the red in which athletics swims.

Benefit to athletics: The converse of the above; also, from what I understand (I had the same questions and was answered as follows) every dollar goes toward things like recruiting etc.....in a perfect world, it would lessen the gap between those schools who proffer private jets etc. to recruits (yeah yeah I know that doesn't happen these days wink wink).

Cost: As low as 50 to as much as you want. Pay it quarterly like your taxes.
RGV Pony

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:08 am

I got the same mailing on my desk this week, too (with a personal note attached from George Simons) and I plan to join, along with my new wife (an SMU graduate)!

GO MUSTANGS!
MrMustang1965

Postby PK » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:24 am

Another thing to think about, the larger the membership of the Mustang Club, the more influence it can have when dealing with the administration of the University in regards to athletics at SMU.

You can get more information about the Mustang Club and join here too:

http://www.smumustangs.com/mustangclub/

Please consider joining and becoming a member. The Mustang Club isn't an exclusive club just for the well to do (I certainly wouldn't fall into that category), it is a club for all SMU fans who want to support our athletic programs.
PK

Re:

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:40 am

MrMustang1965 wrote:I got the same mailing on my desk this week, too (with a personal note attached from George Simons) and I plan to join, along with my new wife (an SMU graduate)!

GO MUSTANGS!

Congrats on getting married. Can we call her MrsMustang1965?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby DiamondM75 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:59 pm

I just renewed my membership in the Mustang Club. Increased my pledge 333%.

I am not in a position to really recruit new members, but was able to make a large increase in my pledge.

I hope this helps.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:33 pm

Mike Damone wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:I got the same mailing on my desk this week, too (with a personal note attached from George Simons) and I plan to join, along with my new wife (an SMU graduate)!

GO MUSTANGS!

Thanks! Actually, she posts on here as "BornRed&Blue". Graduated from The Hilltop in 1979.
MrMustang1965

Re:

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:07 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
Mike Damone wrote:

GO MUSTANGS!

Thanks! Actually, she posts on here as "BornRed&Blue". Graduated from The Hilltop in 1979.

Well, it IS the 21st century so we can't expect her to change her name, but maybe we can hyphenate it and call her "MrsBornRed&Blue-Mustang1965."
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby abezontar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 pm

I have pledged, thanks to DiamondM and her information about the free brownies and lemon squares at the basketball games. It makes it all worth it.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:39 pm

Living in Virginia, I am a member of the Mustang Club (not that it does me any good out here), but I joined anyway three years ago to help out the school. I hope that will help me get a couple of tickets to the Aggie game (because I am planning a business trip) for that weekend.
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:54 pm

If even 10% of our current students and living alumni were interested enough to support the Mustang Club, it would make a huge difference. I'm a poor man compared to many SMU alumni, but even a peon like me can use another tax break...and when I can afford to increase my donation by 333%, I will no longer be known as the Charleston Pony. Maybe someday I will call myself S.C. Peruna
Charleston Pony

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:58 pm

Yes. If helping SMU Athletics is not enough to convince you to join, consider the free drinks, bag-o-cashews, Chex Mix, brownies and lemon squares (actually triangles) at halftime of basketball games. If the food and the company of other supporters is still not enough, consider that the half time reception gives you a place to go to escape the tarted up pre-pubescent girls with hot pants and bare midriffs shimmying and pelvic thrusting through half time. Can any parent of an 11 year old explain why they allow this to happen to their daughters?
DiamondM
Heisman

Next

Return to Football