PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Staff??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coaching Staff??

Postby Grider » Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:16 am

Who stays and who gos?

Who do you think he'll bring in as his assistants?

I can forsee him bringing his brother on, for one. I just hope we don't end up having a bunch of aggies running the show.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: Coaching Staff??

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:55 am

I think Giles should stay, but with Bennett being a defensive guy, who knows.

Lets just hope he brings in some quality offensive coaches.

Postby ponystudent » Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:17 pm

My prediction is that Ringo and Hyatt will stay. Bennett will bring in a whole new defensive staff. Since Ringo is on the offense and a big time recruiter, he might make the cut. Hyatt because he isn't a coach and knows the program. Not too sure anyone else will survive.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:05 pm

Not so fast my friend!

I bet Giles makes the cut. Not only is he a former UT player and a promising young coach who the players love, but he's also supposed to be a hellacious recruiter. I've heard he's the man who got the Barnett kid (Carter RB) to commit to SMU, and that kid is supposed to be great - maybe even better than Kincade and ShanD. We need to keep Giles for his contacts with DISD coaches. He also had Darrin Johnson committed to SMU (before he had a lapse in judgement and announced a switch to A&M) - maybe if Giles sticks and with Bennett's pedigree for great defenses, we can get Johnson to switch back?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:48 pm

We should be able to get some excellent assistant coaches, whether it's keeping guys like Giles and Ringo or attracting new faces. In addition to paying Coach Bennett a good deal more than they paid Cavan, there's a lot of talk that the assistants will be much better paid, too. And under a lot of coaches, it's the assistants who do most of the teaching while the head coach supervises everything. (Don't know if that's how it will be with Coach Bennett - we'll find out in the spring.)

Eager to see Coach Bennett's staff completed, and the recruits start lining up!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:55 pm

Rumor has it that Schumann is being looked at for DC positions at a couple places. He might be taking some of the current staff with him. I would imagine Belin will leave, altough his wife is here, and Giles maybe.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PK » Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:06 pm

Well the rumor mill has it that only a few (two or three) of the current coaches will be retained. Nothing definitive as to which ones. It looks to me that we may be loading up with Big XII coaches which I guess isn't bad. If that is the case....it will be interesting to see what they can do with our WAC players.

At this point I worry about Schumann's ability to be retained. I love the guy, but his defensive philosophy is different from Bennett's and that may be a problem. Of course Schumann had to tailor his schemes to the talent he had to work with and may not be a true picture of his defensive philosophy. Hope he gets a fair chance to compete for the position....or any position for that matter.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ponymon » Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:59 am

Footballscoop.com shows the following for Monday:

SMU Hires: OC from ULL, Blake (ex- HC OU), Lankston (HC Trinity Valley CC)
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football