PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Ticket

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Ticket

Postby PonyPower » Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:59 pm

sucks. Always has sucked. Always will suck. Not only are they ALLEGEDLY a sports station in Dallas - where SMU is the only D-1 university - but they're the flagship station of SMU football. AND THEY LEAVE THE PHIL BENNETT PRESS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS!!

The only thing worth listening to on that terrible station is the broadcast of SMU games - Rich Phillips and Craig Swann do a great job - but overall, the station is an embarrassment. I encourage all PonyFans not only to boycott all events, etc,. of that waste of airwaves, but also to boycott all businesses that buy ad time on the station. If we could put that crap station out of business and get our games on to ESPN radio, that would be huge.

Next target: Dallas Morning Birdcage Liner
PonyPower
All-American

Re: The Ticket

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:09 pm

Not only did they cut away, but those twerps started talking trash about the school again. I sent a reproving e-mail to that Igor look-alike Bob Sturm.

Next time their crappy little van shows up at an SMU game, let's trash it!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:11 pm

Good plan, Punch
Count me in
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby HorsePower » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:20 pm

I hate the ticket and everyone associated with it (except Rich and Craig). If there was a way we could organize an effort to make them look bad to everyone in the community, I'd spearhead the movement. They need to be shut down. They're awful and have never covered a sports story with any journalistic integrity. They make the DMN look like SMU homers.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:32 am

Since I live in Houston, I can't pick up The Ticket on my radio. However, a fraternity brother of mine who lives in the mid-cities says that The Ticket kept airing a verbal 'faux pas' that Coach Bennett made during the news conference. Obviously he was nervous and didn't mean to say what he did. But it's just another example of how cruel and non-SMU oriented The Ticket is...except when it comes to revenue. I would urge all SMU fans to begin a letter writing campaign to revoke The Ticket as the broadcaster of SMU's football games next season. The letter writing campaign worked in getting the 'Cavan caravan' on the road...it can do the same in this case! A football team of integrity should be promoted and broadcast by a radio station of integrity! Obviously, The Ticket has no integrity!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:15 am

I did not hear the press conference. What was the faux pas?
Mickey
All-American

Postby PonyPower » Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:11 pm

Those idiots cut away from Coach Bennett's press conference while it was in progress. While HE WAS TALKING! That station is terrible, and the decision makers who run that dump should be fired.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:38 pm

The faux pas was when Coach Bennett was thanking the administration for the opportunity to be at SMU. Although I didn't hear the exact audio cut, my friend in Dallas says it went like this: "I have been offered head jobs before and have turned them down. I would like to say that Jim Copeland (and the other administrators at SMU) did the most professional job of offering me a head job that I've ever had." Obviously, he meant to say head 'coaching' job. Needless to say, The Ticket thought this was just hilarious and continued running it for awhile that afternoon on its broadcasts. If anyone else can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'm getting it third hand but I trust my friend in the mid-cities. He's an SMU fan, too, and I don't think he'd steer me wrong on this one!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:08 pm

Mr. Mustang,

Bennett did not commit a faux pas based on your description of the incident. The Ticket and their announcers are a bunch of kids that work harder at entertaining themselves than they do their listening audience. This radio broadcast they did was very juvenile, and I can just see them replaying that sound bite because they think it is cute. They have no professionalism at all, and they act like they are still in high school. When they try to do a serious commercial, they are in over their heads(make that our of their league), because the listeners know that they are not serious about anything. Thus, they don't come across well. I hope that everyone, including SMU, quits doing business with these arrogant, smart asses. Take away arrogant, because in order to be arrogant, you have to have something to be arrogant about. Change arrogant for pathetic.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:50 pm

They just gave Joey Slaton props, talking about how he faired against Pepeprs. They were of course talking about the Cowboys and Peppers possibly coming here. Good to hear they at least mentioned Slaton and how he possibly may have played himself into getting a look.

Return to Football