PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett's press conference

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bennett's press conference

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:08 pm

A few things jumped out at me at the press conference

• Coach Bennett will meet this afternoon with the coaches, and may retain some current assistants. We should know soon. He is expected to have his entire staff complete by next week.
• Going to meet with the players today and outline his schemes and his goals for their offseason workouts - nice quick start
• Going to contact all committed recruits and re-affirm their commitments. This is crucial. We have the framework of an excellent class, and if Coach Bennett can keep all those players committed, we're off and running into a bright future of SMU football.
• Said he wants to have HS playoff football games in Ford Stadium. About time! Revenue comes in from rental of the stadium, and from concessions, parking, etc. Also increases exposure of our magnificent facility in the eyes of potential recruits.

The man has me sold. He'll make us proud.
Welcome, Coach Bennett
GO PONIES!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Bennett's press conference

Postby Mickey » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:03 pm

I was impressed as well. He said the right things. Regarding Ford for playoffs. Great idea! Isn't there a problem with NCAA soccer the next three years?
Mickey
All-American

Postby Corso » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:18 pm

Not so fast my friend!

NCAA soccer next year will be in Ford only for the College Cup (NCAA Final 4). SO for one weekend, we can't have an HS game in there. Other weekends should be guaranteed.

No NCAA soccer in Ford in 2003, then the College Cup Final 4 in 2004.

Shouldn't be much conflict at all. Playing HS games there will raise revenue for the athletic department and will help offset the operating costs of the programs at SMU. Should have been done starting last year.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby stang-aholic » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:34 pm

Soccer should stay on SOCCER FIELD not on a FOORBALL FIELD!
stang-aholic

Postby ponytalk » Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:02 pm

I think Bennett knows what he is doing. I also think that some of the boosters have put up some decent money for him and when Bennett wants something changed, he can go to these donors that can get things changed.

As for the soccer field comment. I am a big fan of Coach Schellas. He is a supporter of the football program. I think Ford is for football, but I don't mind surrendering it every now and then for Coach Schellas.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:44 am

That was the first thing I said about Ford Stadium when I saw it in 2000 at the inaugural game: GREAT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SITE!

Now, the question is: if you were a high school football player in the playoffs, where would you rather say you played your bi-district, regional, quarterfinal or semi-final or championship game...Ford Stadium at SMU or Texas Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys play?

If SMU is going to have high school playoff games in Ford Stadium in 2002, its marketing & promotions department better get to work NOW!

I fully support the idea of having high school football playoff games at Ford Stadium. Great traditions and lots of history for future Mustangs to experience while they're in the facility.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:45 am

ponytalk,
I support soccer as well, but why are some people so defensive about soccer? I merely made the comment that there is a conflict at Ford between HS football play offs (which Bennett wants)and the NCAA Soccer Final Four the next three years, (actually this year, next year and 2004). This is a problem because, this week end for example, Ford is not available for the HS Regional Finals because there are three soccer games being played at the stadium. It also involves more than one week end because SMU has been preparing Ford for soccer for several weeks now. An example is that there are no longer goal posts on the field.

My point is that it may be a great idea to have HS football playoffs at Ford as Bennett wants, but it may not be possible until 2003. This is nothing against soccer, just an obsevation that Bennett already has an issue and conflict to deal with.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 12-06-2001).]
Mickey
All-American

Postby GrapevineMustang » Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:09 pm

Question for stang-aholic:
Did Gerald Ford give his millions to SMU or to the football team? When you have a chance to host a national championship, in an event that will be on national TV (hence mass exposure for SMU), you want to show off the best assets the school has to offer. Ford Stadium is gorgeous, and if ONE recruit out there happens to see it and consider SMU, it's well worth the investment. Besides, it's not like the football team is using it right now.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Return to Football