PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett's New Ideas?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bennett's New Ideas?

Postby Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:38 pm

Does anybody know what new ideas Bennett has for the program? Or in other words, what he has said he'll do differently from Cavan. Or has he kept mum on that issue.

Whatasteve Hoyt, when you can get the burger out of your piehole, I assume you have some insight on this matter.

Just interested in seeing what his philosophies are.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Re: Bennett's New Ideas?

Postby Big Baby HayZeus » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:40 pm

I heard he wants to have high school games at Ford Stadium. That's a smart idea. They ought to do a DISD game of the week type of thing there on Fridays, and bus the entire student body to the Hilltop at 2 pm, show them what a college campus looks like, and then bring them to the game. Could be beneficial for the program AND the school's visibility.
Big Baby HayZeus

Postby Houston Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:41 pm

Good idea Big Baby, but we shouldn't just limit it to DISD schools. We ought to try and include a variety of districts throughout the Metroplex.
But that might prove to be too expensive to pull off.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Baby HayZeus:
<B>I heard he wants to have high school games at Ford Stadium. That's a smart idea. They ought to do a DISD game of the week type of thing there on Fridays, and bus the entire student body to the Hilltop at 2 pm, show them what a college campus looks like, and then bring them to the game. Could be beneficial for the program AND the school's visibility.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe what he was referring to is HS playoff games. I would hate to think what the field would look like for our Saturday games after a Friday night game not to mention cleaning the place up in time for our game.

Playoffs - yes. Every Friday night - forget it!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:17 pm

Good point. But how about games at Ford in the weeks the Ponies are on the road?
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:26 pm

Houston Pony's right - expand the area that can host games at Ford. Places like Keller, Coppell, Plano schools, etc., would all like to play in a stadium as nice as Ford. And probably would bus their own to the games.

Dirty Bird also has a good idea, hosting HS games at Ford when SMU has a road game. That would give the stadium and field a week to recover. Nice revenue idea, and big exposure for the school.

Postby jettison » Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SasserRules:
<B>Places like Keller, Coppell, Plano schools, etc., would all like to play in a stadium as nice as Ford. And probably would bus their own to the games. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Places like Keller, Southlake, Coppell all have really nice, state of the art stadiums themselves (at a high school scale). I'm not certain they would give up the home field advantage during district play. It's a good idea for a neutral site during the preseason and playoffs, but I don't see it working too well during the regular season. Plus, do we really want THAT much wear on a field that needs to be in good condition for SMU first and foremost? If it rains on a Friday night or Saturday while a high school game or two takes place, the field would take longer than a week to regenerate.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:59 pm

Nice point on the suburban stadiums, Jettison.
But I think the main idea is that it would behoove us to increase the number of times high schools come to Ford. Sure, we don't want to screw up the field, but let's show off our shiny new toy more than we have since it opened.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only HS game that's happened there was Wichita Falls vs. Brownwood in the early part of the 2000 playoffs.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Return to Football