PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive Coordinator

Postby Grider » Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:23 pm

Who's it gonna be? I know Bennett said he wanted to have most of his assistants hired quickly(by Monday I think). Are there any rumors floating around as to who that might be?
I think I can speak for most folks in saying that a good offensive coord. could make the biggest difference in next years team. This is the most important hire, besides Bennett.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: Offensive Coordinator

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:07 pm

He said he wants to have them hired by Monday, but they won't be in here for a while because he also said that most of the assistants on his list will be in bowl games. I like the sound of that.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Grider » Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:16 pm

so is he going to let us know who they are? Or will he wait awhile because of the bowl games?
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:32 pm

Sounds like Coach Bennett is constructing a kind of coaches 'Dream Team'. Hope it pans out for him. This is truly exciting. I'm literally glued to this board and the DMN for news.

I can see the headlines now...

SMU Offers Athletes Best Education Both On And Off The Field

Read in the SI article where Dat Nguyen is a close family friend. Wonder if we can get him to join us for spring ball as a linebackers position coach. Hehehehe!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:56 pm

More than anything, we need a good tactician who will run an offense that will make the most of the skills our guys do have...and will allow them to compete. We have a major challenge ahead in the offensive line, losing the all important left side starters.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby graypony » Fri Dec 07, 2001 9:28 pm

Offensive coordinator was one of Coach Cavan's most crucial decisions. It will be one of Coach Bennett's most crucial decisions. Let's hope it turns out differently for Coach Bennett.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:44 am

I have heard that a coach, maybe the QB/assistant head coach, from Iowa State is on the short list. Anyone have any info on him?
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:45 pm

Well Steve Brickley is QB coach and not an assistant head coach, but this is probably who everyone is referring to. He has a lot of ties to Texas.

<A HREF="http://cyclones.fansonly.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brickey_steve00.html" TARGET=_blank>www.cyclones.fansonly.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brickey_steve00.html</A>

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 12-08-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:42 pm

Says he was drafted by the Redskins! Hire the man!
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Return to Football