PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3 LSU to transfer, including S.Garland QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

3 LSU to transfer, including S.Garland QB

Postby Col. Nathan R. Jessep » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:40 am

So, how do we get one of these DI transfers on the Hilltop?

Is it true the ex-LSU QB visited a recent SMU Spring practice?

Article...
http://2theadvocate.com/stories/031205/ ... t001.shtml
YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:04 am

well you can't give me that much information and not have me figure it out. The QB is Jordan Reever who actually was a walkon with the hope of being a grey shirt at LSU. He reportedly did receive offers from Syracuse, BYU and Maryland according to Rivals which rated him a 2 star 5.2 rating. Some schools may have back off some during senior year because of an injury during the middle of the year from which he returned to lead his team into the playoffs. He says he chose LSU because they had a shortage of QBs and only had 3 on the roster-and to be fair LSU is where he appears to have wanted to go all along. Kinda like SMU coed-going "suicide Kappa" he may have wasted some scholarship opportunities since LSU strung him along. Of course, LSU just signed the No. 1 High School QB in the country which makes playing time doubtful for Reever, BTW I did see some confirmation on LSU boards concerning the possibility Reever would transfer to a Texas school. He's 6-2, 205. Pretty prolific numbers-I think I saw third best all-time in Texas with 530 completions in 865 attempts 61% and 6,622 yards and 70 TDs BTW if you look up his story in 2003 on Rivals they have 4 video reels on him-of course when you complete 530 passes in your high school career there should be some great highlites but he doesn't look bad-not fast but elusive enough to evade the rush and able to hit some receivers in stride with nicely thrown balls for some big plays. However, I don't think he would be a shoe-in starter in 2006 as someone mentioned-in fact he is the lowest rated recruit among Phillips, Willis and Johnson.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresh » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:06 am

I'll take him! Stallion, make a call and get him to the Hilltop.

Maybe even more appealing, though, is the defensive end. Sean Merrill was listed on one site that I found as being 6'5", 290 and running a 4.85, which is quick for a guy that size. We had 10 sacks last year as a team, and Justin Rogers was the only DE who had even one. How would this big beast look coming around the corner?
Fresh
Varsity

Postby me@smu » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Is SMU linked to these transfers?

I have LB Mark Stoltz transferring to Arkansas but the other two are unknown.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby EagleRockCafe » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:16 pm

Southern Miss fan here. Sean Merrill has transferred to Gulf Coast CC to play one year of junior college ball and then will play at Southern Miss. Matt Stolz is from Little Rock. He transferred to Arkansas to be closer to his father who has a terminal illness.
EagleRockCafe

Postby Lotus » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:28 pm

Thanks for the update, EagleRockCafe. Sorry to hear Merrill will play for you instead of us! (Not that there was any reason to think he was headed to Dallas, of course.)
My thoughts are with the Stolz family.
Lotus
All-American

Interesting story

Postby Grider » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:49 pm

I found this article on www.scout.com about Reever

Talented Texas QB Looking for Home & Scholarship
By R. Leuma Schwenke TBS Editor & Publisher
Date: Jan 30, 2004

This is an intriguing, bittersweet account of a highly-recruited Texas high school quarterback - aggressively courted by BCS national champion LSU - who put too many eggs in the wrong basket. Today, his best standing-offer with less than four days before national LOI day is a firm mid-year scholarship from BYU.

Jordan Reever, a 6-2, 200-pound, three-year starter at South Garland High with 6,300 career passing yards and 72 touchdown passes, was upfront from the beginning with all interested schools that his clear and ever-present favorite was Louisiana State. All major colleges either withdrew their early offers or never did at all.
Last season, Reever dislocated his elbow, missed five games and still threw for 1,717 yards and 19 touchdowns. A 5A All-District quarterback, he was selected to play in the Dallas-Fort Worth All-Star game on Jan. 17 after leading South Garland to their first district championship title in 30 years.

After all the wooing by LSU and wanting by Reever -- two home visits (including one this past Thursday), five school visits and dozens of phone calls by Tiger coaches -- the best they could offer was a scholarship for next year, or the "possibility" of a mid-year offer based on how well he competed against a extremely talented group of quarterbacks. Reever would also have to walk on and pay his own way this fall with only the assurance that a scholarship would be there next summer.

“LSU coaches visited me at school five times and had two home visits and I had like four or five (scholarship) options on the table at one time. I know I’m too good of a player to be in this position. It’s kind of frustrating, but you learn to deal with it.”

Colleges that offered early included Syracuse, Maryland, Boise State, UTEP and Louisiana-Monroe. Tiger coaches were upfront in saying he was their No. 3 QB priority, but Reever held on to the slim hope they might come through for him.

When new Nebraska coach Bill Callahan was hired earlier this month, Reever’s hopes and expectations were sky high when they offered a “conditional” scholarship that depended on whether a quarterback recruit visiting Lincoln last weekend committed or not. He did and Reever was out in the cold again.

“Now that LSU and Nebraska went down the drain, BYU is looking real good right now. Maybe I snoozed on it (earlier offers); you snooze, you lose. That’s the way it goes sometimes,” a dejected Reever said.

His head coach, Mickey Moss, noted that one of the main factors working against Reever was an unusual bumper crop of elite, nationally-recruited quarterbacks from Texas.

“Jordan ended up being in a unique position. I just hope he gets what he likes. I know he and his family feel that whatever happens is what God has in store for him,” Moss said.

As a leader and player, Moss said last week that “Jordan is just a tough, competitive kid. He knows how to win football games. He’s just a winner. Jordan’s biggest attributes are vision, accuracy and escapability. He’s as good as anybody I’ve seen in escaping pressure. He’s got eyes in the back of his head. It’s uncanny. I would say Jordan’s one of the top five quarterbacks in Texas and this is a great year for quarterbacks here.”

Already academically qualified (scored over 1,000 on his SAT), Reever said the BYU offer “is the best deal of the major schools (right now). I know I could prove myself there. Coach Bradford gave me the full rundown today of the quarterbacks with Jacob Bower leaving straight on a mission and Ben Olson on his mission now.” He said the (BYU) coaches were slightly uneasy about their depth quarterback situation because of the injuries last year. He said he really wants me. Antwaun (Harris, his wide receiver teammate who has committed to the Cougars) and I could be a really good duo over there. That’s one of the things that intrigue me most. BYU is right there; no question about it, no question at all…” he continued.

Another factor in BYU’s favor was the opportunity to work closely with the Cougars head coach. “I feel really good about Coach Crowton. I am confident in my abilities and I’d like a chance to prove myself.”

Reever said he is still awaiting one of the last possible scholarship opportunities from Miami (Ohio), who reviewed his highlight footage this week. “There’s a good chance I’ll go ahead and commit if they offer.”

Failing that, Reever said he is seriously contemplating paying his way this fall semester in Provo until he gets a scholarship in December. “It’s not the money. Coach Bradford told me how much it was and I was surprised it’s not that expensive.

In the final analysis, Jordan Reever wants what any high-caliber quarterback wants: to be fully recognized for his developing skills with a firm scholarship offer to a respectable college that likes to throw the ball.

The final word from his high school coach said it best: “Whoever gets Jordan will be very lucky.”
Grider
All-American

Postby me@smu » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:17 am

It would make sense then that Reever will end up at BYU, specially now that Ben Olsen has transferred to UCLA. However, can anyone confirm they are still offering/interested?
me@smu
Heisman

Return to Football