PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Practice report 8/14/00-morning

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Practice report 8/14/00-morning

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2000 3:03 pm

I stopped by practice this morning for a little while, and spent some time watching the offensive line. I was very pleasantly surprised at this group. The starting 5 (or the 5 working with the first team at this point) all appeared to be very strong. James McCarthy, Rich Nichols, Cory Fross, and Joey Slaten all looked very good in both one on one drills and in team. McCarthy and Nichols stood out the most to me. I don't think in the time that I was at practice I ever saw McCarthy get beat. He looked very strong and very fast. I got a brief look at Luter, the new offensive lineman. As MustangMatt has indicated, he is indeed very big. I did not get to see him take many reps. My first look at Sterling Harris was disappointing. He got beaten badly by Chase Schavrda and others. At one point, he and Chris Post got into a little tussle, and from then on he was mad and seemed to be destroying everything. It brought out his aggressive side, I guess. On two consecutive plays, he drove Chris Post straight into the ground.

On the defensive side of the ball, the two players that stood out to me were Chase Schavrda and Trent Hrncir. Both of these guys seemed to have great practices. Chase was in on almost every play. He did not fair as well in the one on one drills, but in the team, he was awesome. Hrncir seems to have the strength and speed to make it at defensive end! I think he will be a good one.

There was a lot of intensity out there. Wherever I was on the field, I could not escape Coach Kueck's enthusiastic voice. I think this is a new team, and I think these coaches are really going to get it done.

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 08-14-2000).]

Re: Practice report 8/14/00-morning

Postby WildHorse » Mon Aug 14, 2000 3:27 pm

I've heard a lot of concern that Sterling Harris is in better shape but he "plays soft". Maybe we need to get someone to fight with him before every game so he can take it out on the other team.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football