PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 SMU Redshirts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 SMU Redshirts

Postby PonyUp » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:40 am

I have heard and read about a number of Mustangs that did not see the field this season including Bartel, Miller, and Davis. Can anyone provide me with a complete list of those Mustangs that were Redshirted this past season? If possible, could you provide me with the projected position they could play next season?
PonyUp

Re: 2001 SMU Redshirts

Postby WildHorse » Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:00 pm

As far as I can recall, here are the freshmen who didn't play at all this year because of redshirts:

QB Richard Bartel
OL Scott Dale
P/PK Russ Davis
PK Chris McMurtray
TE Mike Dineen
S Travis Hunt
LB Don Ieremia-Stansbury
S T.J. James
OL Brad Kieschnick
OL Tommy Miller
RB Earl Morris
QB Ashton Nixon
WR Cedric Vinson
DT Marcus Walker
WR/TE Tate Wallis

And of course the two "gray shirts" from last year:
OL Hulsey Smith
RB/DB Matt Terry

What I want to know: at some point, you'd hear something about all the true freshmen, even those listed here who never played. But I never heard a word about RB Earl Morris. Did he even show up for school in August?

Going by bloodlines, Travis Hunt could be the prize of this group. I remember reading at Signing Day that he is related to Florida WR Jabbar Gaffney, and anyone in Gaffney's gene pool has got to be a star waiting to happen. Gaffney's the best WR in the country, and he's only a sophomore. And Hunt's dad, or uncle, (or some relative) play in the NFL?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football