PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coaching Staff

Postby PonyUp » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:58 am

Any word yet on who Bennett's assistant coaches will be? Is Blake, the ex-OU Coach a candidate? Heard he was one hell of a recruiter. How about Charlie Waters as Defensive Coordinator. Sure he did not get the HC job, but from what I read really sounds like he would be a good fit, it also sounded like he wants to be part of something special in Dallas at SMU. Would Craig James or Eric Dickerson be long shots for ACs? We could use the name recoginition and experience of two Mustangs that have been there done that.
PonyUp

Re: Coaching Staff

Postby smudad » Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:21 am

Giles & Ringo are supposed to be definite holdovers. Schuman was to be given an opportunity to stay. One would hope that if John Blake were considered he would have turned over a new leaf. He was at the center of a controversy(non) over racial issues just before he left the Cowboys. And he had perhaps the most disorganized program in Div I while at Oklahoma. Maybe he's better suited to an assistant's job. Maybe the HC job came too soon. Regardless, good recruiting could not make up for shortcomings in the other two areas.

I can't help hoping that a new emphasis on Special Teams coaching will be evident under Coach Bennett. It's just too important to leave to chance or as a leftover area. I'm convinced we had folks with good skills. I believe neglect often lead to bad practice habits which lead to poor performance.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Grider » Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:34 am

smudad, I will go out on a limb and say that special teams screw ups will be the last thing we see with Bennett at the helm. He's a self proclaimed perfectionist, and I think our special teams is one thing that won't be overlooked next year. We'll have what looks to be a great kicker in Mcmurtry. Also, we know we have guys that can return, and, on the other side of the ball, I think our coverage will definitely benefit from Bennett.

As for Blake, I'm not sure, but you're right he certainly was not ready to be a head coach. Maybe he would really flourish in an assistant role here.

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited 12-13-2001).]
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:37 pm

Without knowing whether Coach Bennett plans to talk to Charlie Waters about the defensive coordinator job, I doubt Waters would take it. He's a very proud man, and with the fanfare that surrounded his candidacy for the head coach job, I'd think he'd view that as a fallback. No need for him to take it.

Special teams will not be a problem next year. We have a lot of fast guys who can cover kicks, the young kickers will be pleasant surprises, and in Jonas Rutledge we have a game-breaking return man.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:26 pm

Giles is staying.
Don't know about Ringo or Schumann.

WHEN will there be an announcement about the staff?
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Postby Phil Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:49 pm

Not sure. But with Coach Bennett running the show, things are looking brighter for SMU than they have since 1989. Look what Coach Snyder did for Kansas State. Phil Bennett will have a similar effect at SMU. That doesn't mean SMU will be a top 25 team. But it doesn't mean they won't, either.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby OC Mustang » Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:15 am

Forgive me if I do not do this correctly...I think I have only posted here once or twice before...a real good while ago.

I understand that Bennett's brother, the former coach of Jefferson High School in Jefferson, TX, might be an assistant. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is the case.

Certainly, he is not really a big name...but hey, it's something to talk about as opposed to nothing.

My feeling is that if is going to pull any assistants from high schools, he should grab the coach of Shreveport Evangel (see Brock Berlin) and Danny Long, the coach of Jacksonville. Both are offensive, I believe, and would make very good assistants.

But what do I know...I'm stuck out here on the West Coast instead of being back in Texas...incidentally, I am from Marshall also. Small world, eh?
"Moderation in all things, and especially in Absoluts [vodka]." The Benediction, Doc Breeden, circa 1992
OC Mustang
Heisman

Return to Football