PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Billy Ford

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Billy Ford

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 14, 2000 10:03 pm

I read on the practice report that Billy Ford is now a Utility Back. This is very interesting. First, they moved O'Neill, now Ford. This means that the U-back is going to be very important in our new offense. I think the Ford move was a good one. I want to see him play the position, but he has great size, and great speed.

I think Kueck's offense is going to be a powerhouse in the WAC this year. We have the single back with multiple receivers and TE's/U-backs, we will be hard to stop if Josh is accurate.

Request for PonyFans.com--will you watch Billy Ford tomorrow and report on how he played at his new position? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Billy Ford

Postby jettison » Tue Aug 15, 2000 11:06 am

This is great news! I was starting to wonder if they were clueless as to what to do with Billy, because he has too much size and speed to be buried on the third team on the depth chart as a linebacker. I guess this will now be his third position the past year, but should adjust fine to the role.

[This message has been edited by jettison (edited 08-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jettison (edited 08-15-2000).]
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Tue Aug 15, 2000 11:33 am

Not so fast, my friends!

I agree that Billy Ford has great size and speed, and needs to get on the field.

But I'm not sure TE/UBack is the place for him, because it seems a little crowded there. Michael Brown, John Hampton, David Ellen, Steve O'Neill .... how are we going to keep that many guys happy? With the stable of thoroughbred WRs racing up and down the field on the outside, McCown will need to get the ball into their hands. Brown and Ellen are crushing blockers, so they will play. I just wonder if there will be enough snaps to get everyone playing time.

And if Ford is so fast, why not move him BACK to safety and let him be the physical presence we need back there with Leroy Price? James Orr will work hard and play well, but he won't exactly have opposing players afraid of coming over the middle, because he's so small. If Ford has the speed to keep up, he could become an amazing safety. But I guess that's not in the cosmic plan on the Hilltop.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Aug 15, 2000 2:58 pm

Ellen is not back this year. I don't know if it was grades or if he was unhappy, but you can subtract David Ellen from any roster.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby TWU1890 » Tue Aug 15, 2000 3:58 pm

I think that moving Billy Ford to TE or UB is an excellent move. Billy has good speed and decent hands. If his hands develop as well as John Hampton's we will have a serious attack across the midfield. I have noticed that Billy Ford has improved drastically over last season as far as size and speed. I can not wait to see how he will make the adjustment to offense. All in all it is going to be a great season and the Stangs should eb bowl bound. This is the year to turn it around. New Turf New Team.
TWU1890

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2000 4:16 pm

I also think the tight end spot may be a little overcrowded with talent. Might be interesting to see Ford as a fullback type, but the biggest need remains the secondary and he at least has some experience back there. I envision a starting secondary of Garrett, Rutledge, Price and Rico Harris. It would be nice to have Orr as a backup corner and a hitter like Ford rotating in at the safety spots. The key to improvement of the entire defense could hinge on Kevin Aldridge at DE. If he can bring more pressure to the qb it should help everyone out.

Postby MustangFan » Tue Aug 15, 2000 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear about David Ellen leaving. I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby jettison » Tue Aug 15, 2000 4:45 pm

I just heard through the grapevine that both David Ellen and Danny Murphy are probably done with football due to health concerns, but will finish their schooling at SMU. I hope both will do well and perhaps even make a comeback at some point in the future.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:10 pm

Jettison -- well said. We all hope for the best for Danny and David.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby footballmygame » Wed Aug 16, 2000 1:36 am

Billy Ford has demonstrated a burning desire for the game. Not only does he have what it takes to be an awesome player (speed, size)--he is also diversified and will adjust to any position he is a assigned. I have had my eye on this kid for sometime now, and I do believe that great things are in store for this PONY!
footballmygame

Return to Football