PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defense Questions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Defense Questions

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 14, 2000 10:14 pm

Curious as to what the LB situation is. i figure, starting three--Vic, Riley, and BJ? Second three--Khalid, Bischoff, DD, or Justin Williams? Does anyone know the lineups?

Also, I am wondering who the best safeties are. Price, O'Neill, Dorsey, Orr. Is Orr even a Safety or is he a DB?

Someone at practice this afternoon told me that Lute Croy was a powerhouse on the D-line during one on one's. This is great news. He is 300 or close and he could dominate the D-line for SMU. How is Birdwell and Post doing. I have heard about JD's injury. GrayPony, any insight on how long he will be out?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Defense Questions

Postby SMUguy » Tue Aug 15, 2000 12:00 pm

From what I hear, Corey Riley will start inside and Vic is starting at one of the outside spots. Supposedly, the other spot is a battle between BJ Williams, Justin Williams, DD Johnson, Bischoff and Beard.

I vote for DD Johnson all the way - the man's hard .... strong and fast, and risks people's lives when he hits.

Price is starting at free safety, which I think is great -- he's going to be a major player for us this year. James Orr is pencilled in as the strong safety, which is a little scary. Good kid, works hard, etc., but he's too small. Push him back to corner. Shane O'Neill showed some talent, but is he a starter? Not sure....

I sure hope one of these freshmen (Rico Harris? Wesley Medlock? Matt Roshbrook?) comes in and knocks the coaches' socks off, and claims the starting strong safety spot.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Defense Questions

Postby graypony » Wed Aug 16, 2000 10:36 am

JD had a sprained posterior cruciate ligament, not torn. He should be back in 4-6 weeks. I feel great, as a father, about Cash Birdwell and his staff. They will have him back and in good shape by the UTEP or NCState game, hopefully. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting PonyFanMan and MustangMatt at practice.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Return to Football