PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How about an Athletic Endowment?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How about an Athletic Endowment?

Postby BUS » Wed May 25, 2005 11:17 am

I bet we could all get together and start one if it has not been started before.

If it is started, how can we donate directly to the Athletic Endowment?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 pm

^%%$#!!! good idea -

usc for sure has one -

they endow them by positions -

football, baseball, etc.

here's an example: http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/spo ... 00aaa.html
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Water Pony » Wed May 25, 2005 2:37 pm

As a matter of fact, there is a six figure endowment for SMU Men's Lacrosse.

"The fastest game on two feet!"
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BUS » Wed May 25, 2005 3:08 pm

Then this is an official question for those in the Athletic Department.

YOU KNOW THEY READ THIS BOARD.

Does SMU have such an endowment? Please explain if not, WHY NOT?

I have a check to get it started. Let's GO.
BUS

Postby PonySoprano » Wed May 25, 2005 4:26 pm

BUS-
I'm with you 100% on this idea, but I think the big issue is how do you balance a fund raising campaign for an endowment against a capital campaign for the facility upgrades which are desparately needed (Moody, new b-ball/v-ball practice courts, Natatorium, etc.). You can only go to the well so many times.

I suppose its a question of priorities.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed May 25, 2005 4:35 pm

have to disagree with you on this one - respectfully, of course -

its the difference in those universities with the billion dollar endowments & those without -

those 'with' NEVER quit going to the well because they look at raising $$$ as a full time job or endeavor vs. occasionally when a new building is needed, etc. (sarcastically - of course) :idea:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed May 25, 2005 4:51 pm

This is a subject that I posted about 2 months ago.

The real question is: Does the Mustang Club spend all the money it receives every year or do they put some into an endowment fund? I have a feeling that all the money is spent. If we had put money into an endowment fund starting 30 years ago, that fund would be substantial by now. We need an endowment fund. Contributions to a fund can be directed towards facilities or scholarships. That way the contributor can make sure his money is spent the way he/she wants. It is called restricted funds.

The Mustang Club needs to help fund the endowment and individuals need to make pledges to the endowment and to the Mustang Club. It is easier to raise endowment funds than it is to raise money to be spent in the short term.

This can be done, and I think you will be surprised how much money can be raised toward this goal. If we have a large fund, the need to raise money every year decreases. You can also put budget excesses into the fund. When the ponies start winning and CUSA starts paying off, put the money in the fund, don't spend it.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby ponydawg » Wed May 25, 2005 5:26 pm

take it to vegas and earn it the old fashion way.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Wed May 25, 2005 6:02 pm

A couple of years ago, the M-club Morgan Campaign asked for a 10% increase in donation to cover the cost of travel in the WAC and increased recruiting budgets.

How about next year the M-Club do the Morgan Campaign and tag the first Endowment Campaign right along with it.

I being one of the people that call asking for CASH would not be out any effort explaining the NEED to start an Athletic Endowment. Same call you know.

If we raised 1.4 milliion this year and just say half the people gave a 10% SMUMCAE ( Southern Methodist University Mustang Club Athletic Endowment ) That would open the door for an additional $70,000.00 to start out with.

Then hit the big boys once the account is open. I personally would not go asking the big boys and girls for more cash until I had SHOWN that it was important to the masses.

I'm IN.
BUS

Postby Dooby » Wed May 25, 2005 6:22 pm

I am sorry, but I assumed the Mustang Club whizzed through every penny every year. And even if it didn't, it would be blown on state of the art self-collapsing goalposts.

BTW, anybody know how that kid is doing?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed May 25, 2005 10:03 pm

This brings up a good question. Anyone know how many schools have endowed their head coaching positions in various sports? It would seem this is common, as dept. chairs and professorships are endowed.
RGV Pony

Postby buspen » Thu May 26, 2005 12:24 pm

I thought I remember reading somewhere, when Bennett was hired that one of his requirements/requests was that a football endowment be established (I thought the goal was about $500,000).
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Thu May 26, 2005 4:08 pm

After some research, SMU has MANY athletic endowments. Some are large and some are small.

I will try to get specific information.
BUS

Postby EastStang » Thu May 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Right now, I would rather sink endowment money into the School of Eduacation specifically geared toward Physical Education so that we get some top notch professors in that area and can get the school up and running so that athletes can start majoring in the subject and JUCO's can transfer their PE hours to SMU.
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Would love to see a priority list on endowment dollars - if it is education department so we can recruit and keep our competitive student athletes in schoool then that is great - if it is a common fund for football then lets do that - but it is time to start building a more permanent solution. i would personally give at least 25% more if it went to an endowment. We have to give the option.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football