PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aggie sabre-pull revisited

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby DiamondM75 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Dooby, you hit the nail on the head.

I feel so sorry for the current band members having to sit in the hot sun, rain and cold and watch some pretty miserable football. At least back in the old SWC days, we might be 6-5 or 5-6, but we were almost always in the game with a chance to pull it out.

In the 80's, when the team was winning, the band grew in size and quality. It was a wonderful experience attending and performing at games where there was an audience that was excited and into the total game experience.

Post DP, the band has gradually declined both in size and quality. This is not the fault of the band directors and the band members, but of the entire SMU athletic expericence and the fact that the band's scholarship budget only covers about 7% of the tuition costs as compared with 16% in the 80's and over 40% in the 60's.

Sitting through games that were so lopsided and absolutely boring. The fans could leave whenever they wanted, but the band must stay, and I don't blame any musicians for not wanting to be a part of that experience, especially when they are basically volunteers.

Did you know the band always plays at post game? It amazes me that when the band is out of town, the opponents fans stay and listen to the bands, while at Ford, the band plays for the groundskeepers. I hope this changes some with CUSA in that there will be more visiting bands at Ford. It provides a sense of competition between the bands. All SMU fans should make an effort to stay about 15-20 minutes and listen to the unique music arrangements and performances of the Mustang Band as compared with the bands of other schools.

I don't think SMU fans really understand and appreciate the quality and uniqueness that is the Mustang Band. I think the band should call a strike and not show for a couple of games, then their efforts and hard work would be appreciated. The SMU fans can listen to the piped in Rap and Heavy Metal that is played over the P.A. system. Now that is college football.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:56 pm

DiamondM75 wrote: The SMU fans can listen to the piped in Rap and Heavy Metal that is played over the P.A. system. Now that is college football.
Somebody needs to rip that damn P.A. system off of the walls...geez!!! :roll:
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:42 pm

DiamondM75 wrote:I think the band should call a strike and not show for a couple of games, then their efforts and hard work would be appreciated.

I'm certain they'd be missed tremendously, along with their one song. Of course, Peruna is timeless.
jtstang

Postby Dooby » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:26 pm

Timeless? Or Constant?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Dooby wrote:Timeless? Or Constant?

I was using them interchangeably.
jtstang

Postby BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:11 pm

you raise a good point RGV! From what I understand, the band members aren't required to do some of the "regular stuff" the other part of the corps does... I don't know the details, but I think that is how they get them to play dress up and march in unison.
BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie
Scout Team

Postby carolina stang » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:55 pm

As luck would have it, my seat at the sabre pulling game in 81 gave me a great view of what happened. When he pulled his sabre (manhood?)out he had a very glazed look on his face. The funniest part was our guy (cheerleader) pushing the idiot down. There were quite a few SMU folks where I was sitting and the laughter all over was pretty raucous and lasted several plays. (The incident was in the first or second quarter I think) I remember several of us discussing during the game that he would probably get kicked out of school but the Aggies would think he was a hero.
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:00 am

Hero? No, maybe to his toy solider buddies, but not to most Aggies.
BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Niedermier - Dead!!!!

Was on the field for the incident - scary how psycho it was - If an SMU cheerleader kicks your a** in front of 70,000 - not sure they would need to kick you out - would think you leave just for your own pride.

The guy was just another brainwashed loser - nothing special.

The aggie traditions would be more meaningful if they would just cut them down to the top twenty - sheer volumn of all the insanity just wears you down - talk about bored.
gostangs

Previous

Return to Football