PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aggie sabre-pull revisited

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jtstang » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:Totally disagree with most of the above. I find Aggie loyalty refreshing in this day and age of conditional attachment.

Yeah and loyalty to that stupid-@ss "let's get drunk and climb to the top of a bunch of unstable treee trunks" tradition will get you dead. Freaking cult.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Danny Noonan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:58 pm

jtstang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Totally disagree with most of the above. I find Aggie loyalty refreshing in this day and age of conditional attachment.

Yeah and loyalty to that stupid-@ss "let's get drunk and climb to the top of a bunch of unstable treee trunks" tradition will get you dead. Freaking cult.

An school who's loyalty is based off its hate and jealousy of another school. So pathetic.

And a fake army.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."
Danny Noonan
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:18 pm

probably wise Texas doesn't make them a "real Army". If Ole Sarge couldn't take a littl' joke about a fire hydrant in honor of Reville then give them a "real Army" and they just might lay siege to Waco or something. Come to think of it-not a bad idea.
Stallion

Postby Danny Noonan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Where is the poster Ole Sarge? He used to post on MM. He'd come over and rip all the "Percy's and Chauncey's" that make up our student body.

Actually quite amusing. Something tells me he'll be back in the fall.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."
Danny Noonan
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:44 pm

jtstang wrote: Yeah and loyalty to that stupid-@ss "let's get drunk and climb to the top of a bunch of unstable treee trunks" tradition will get you dead. Freaking cult.

A friend of my family was involved in that tragic accident, jt. Grow up.
ponyboy

Postby jtstang » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:15 pm

ponyboy wrote:A friend of my family was involved in that tragic accident, jt.

Well you're right it was tragic, and I'm sorry your family friend was involved. But the brainwashed crowd down there was so up in arms over the subsequent decision to discontinue the dangerous "tradition" that they decided to continue the practice in an unsupervised, even more dangerous event. There's "loyalty" for you, taking over for common sense.
jtstang

Postby Diamond Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Don't forget the dog whistles. :wink:
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Diamond Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Diamond Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:15 pm

Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 pm

a group of people respecting history and tradition? My god! what a horrible cult! Everyone knows the SMU model of not caring is so much better! Everyone should emulate us and our superior effort of making 'new traditions' every year and throwing them out the next! This way you have nothing in common with the past and can avoid horrible 'cult' status.
couch 'em

Postby BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:23 am

If there is one thing I have always said about my school is PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE don't judge us by the corps. They are simply an over glorified ROTC program (which most other colleges have). There are 1500 corps members and 45,000 students. You do the math here... roughly 3% of the student body is in the corps.

They are the ones that are cultish zealots and that give Aggies everywhere a bad name, A LOT of the time. The other 43,500 students pretty much ignore them and let them have their little G.I. Joe fun in a corner of the campus.

The sabre thing was stupid, and I'm glad the guy got kicked out of school. That [deleted] wouldn't fly here today. A&M is a totally different school than it was 10 years ago (you can say even 5 years ago), much less 20-30 years ago.
BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie
Scout Team

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:11 am

I see your point, BBTAggie, re: the Corps. What amazes me is ya'll are able to talk 400 band members into joining the Corps. That in and of itself tells us how SMU should be able to get more than 60-some willing to be in the Mustang band.
RGV Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:59 am

There's a difference between willing and able. I think the Mustang Band is very selective in who it lets in the band. I would not want to sacrifice quality for quantity. I've heard that the music program at SMU is less supportive (maybe even antagonistic) of its majors joining the band than they used to be. That could cost you a few right there.
EastStang

Postby couch 'em » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:52 am

EastStang wrote:There's a difference between willing and able. I think the Mustang Band is very selective in who it lets in the band.

I hate to tell you guys, but this hasn't been true for some time. The band takes anyone it can get. People not good enough to get in or so horrible that they are kicked out are very, very few and far between. The band would take your dog if it would show up every Saturday and hold an instrument. This is why it is so important to support the band. If you want a band that is selective, then you need to kick in some money.
couch 'em

Postby Dooby » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:34 am

Call me crazy, but I think if there was something to get excited about on the football field or basketball court, then there would be more interest in the band. I dunno, something like, well, WINNING!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football