PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New SMU fan here

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New SMU fan here

Postby SMUnick » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:50 pm

hey everyone I am an incoming freshman from california. I have grown up a huge SC fan my whole life and have just recently began to follow Mustang football. When do you all think SMU will be back to the glory years, and on top of CUSA? I visited the campus for the first time a couple months ago and i thought it was fantastic! Ford Stadium is unreal! What are some of the expectations we have this year? Any of our incoming class of 2005 going to see some pt? thanks guys! I see good things in the future for this program!
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:02 pm

you might wanna duck, there are some cynics around here. Its no secret that SMU has endured some tough times in recent years on the field. SMU still has some great, longtime fans that have been there through thick and thin. Most people need a taste of some success real soon. Thats the tone on the forum, just so you know. 2005 might be another lean year, but should be some great parties for the Baylor and TCU games. Welcome to the board and SMU from a nearing middle age guy. Funny how that happens.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:22 pm

Welcome to ponyfans and to The Hilltop!!!!! I'm curious: what attracted you to SMU all the way from California? Obviously there is something here that appeals to you. What is it that SMU has that schools in California couldn't give you?

I'm always excited to see a new SMU fan! Yes, it's been rough for awhile around here and most folks will tell you that I'm the biggest 'sunshiner' you'll ever meet. So be it. I have faith in the Mustangs and I'm not the only one.

You're a freshman and it's my hope that by the time you're a sophomore or junior, SMU will be VERY competitive in C-USA. It's a new conference and a new attitude at SMU. Welcome aboard! I look forward to meeting you at a tailgate event this Fall. And do everything you can to get your fellow freshmen classmates EXCITED about SMU football and coming to the games!
MrMustang1965

Postby BUS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:35 pm

Oh yes, game day is cool. Come by and grab a bite to eat on the Boulevard before the game. ( Ask for BUS ) I have a spot out in front of the Meadows building and the Perkins Nat.

I would bet that you are arriving at SMU at the time SMU is turning the corner with football. You are going to see some really fun games with a much more competitive team.

Everyone from Dr. Turner down want the Mustangs to do well ( Exception... Some EGG HEADS on the Faculty Senate )

Welcome and congratulations.
GO MUSTANGS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMUnick » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:08 pm

Mr.Mustang... I had a few buddies at school talking about SMU during the time I was looking at colleges and I looked into the school and it had everything I wanted. It has major D-1 sports, a beautiful campus, and it has an awesome business school. The problem with California shools are that besides Stanford, and USC, all the other schools are overpopulated and crowded. (and extremely liberal)... Anyways... I was wondering where i can buy all the new SMU gear?? I know they are getting new jersies this year and I am wondering if Nike will come out with replicas anytime soon? If you can give me good places to buy some SMU gear that would be great! thanks
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:20 pm

SMUnick wrote:Mr.Mustang... I had a few buddies at school talking about SMU during the time I was looking at colleges and I looked into the school and it had everything I wanted. It has major D-1 sports, a beautiful campus, and it has an awesome business school. The problem with California shools are that besides Stanford, and USC, all the other schools are overpopulated and crowded. (and extremely liberal)... Anyways... I was wondering where i can buy all the new SMU gear?? I know they are getting new jersies this year and I am wondering if Nike will come out with replicas anytime soon? If you can give me good places to buy some SMU gear that would be great! thanks
SMUnick: Keep an eye out for a 'sale' at The Spirit Shop pretty soon since it's going out of business. (See the posts earlier this summer about The Spirit Shop for more information) Also, keep scanning ebay for auctions of SMU gear. I'll be interested in seeing what the new company that the University has contracted will be putting up for sale.

Glad you chose SMU for your 'higher education'...but what's wrong with being 'liberal'? After all, you chose a 'liberal arts school'. :shock:

Welcome to The Hilltop!!!!!
MrMustang1965

Postby SMUnick » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:43 pm

You have not seen "liberal" until you have walked on the schools of Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, and SantaCruz! haha SMU is perfect in my opinion. Will they still have a student bookstore with gifts etc..??
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:52 pm

From what I've been told, The SMU Bookstore at the Barnes & Noble on Mockingbird and Airline Drive will be THE location everyone will be directed to for SMU apparel and paraphenalia.

Glad you think SMU is 'perfect'.
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:33 pm

Welcome to the Hilltop!!

SMU is very different than SC thats for sure but the fans that are left are no doubt die hard fans!

MrMustang1965, no doubt you are the only one that has faith in SMU

Cant wait for the start of the season. Sadly cant make it to the Baylor game because of my HS playing West Monroe but will be there for the TCU game no doubt. Should be a fun season, might not get all the wins we want but our record over the past few seasons doesnt really show how good this team has been especially the 2003 season with that 0-12 record *sighs* Ugh just remembering how many games we came so close to winning makes me upset over it.

Well '05 should be great! Im expecting atleast 5 wins.

Once again welcome to the Hilltop and Big D! Should have a blast!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:46 pm

DEFINITELY SO!!!!!!!!

WELCOME ABOARD FROM SIMI VALLEY!!!

yeah, you're exactly right about those cal schools...i've been on all their campuses except santa cruz & its pure wacko!!!

they've never seem to have left the 60's - HA! LOL!

anyways - glad to have u? :?:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Corso » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:18 pm

Welcome to PonyFans.com and to SMU! You've made a great choice.

Any idea what you plan to study?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby OC Mustang » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:32 pm

Howdy and Welcome from the great state of Texas and the best university in the state, SMU!!!!!

We actually just moved back to God's Country from South Orange County...Laguna Niguel, specifically.

I didn't catch where you are coming from in CA.

We loved the West Coast...particularly the weather, sushi, and the little private school my wife taught at and my sons attended right where Dana Point and Laguna Niguel meet. We miss it, but the in-laws live in San Clemente, so will go back to visit...just the way it should be...living in Texas...visiting CA... :lol:

In any case, welcome aboard the board. SMU bares a slight resemblance to SC...institutional similarities include that they are both Methodist-founded, I believe, though SC dispensed with the church oversight, etc. The student culture is pretty similar with the emphasis on Greek life. They are both private schools making their way in comparatively large urban cities. But their size is daunting compare to SMU, and consequently, their alumni base is much bigger. Plus, LA can't seem to keep pro football franchises, so UCLA and SC pretty much run the table for football entertainment in the town. We have to contend with the legendary Dallas (soon to be Arlington) Cowboys.

My oldest son, Carson, (yep...well, what can I say...we are SC fans too) loves SC...it is the only place to date (we shall change that this fall) he has ever seen college football, and it has set the bar for us.

Hope you have fun...and when you get back to CA, look up some of the grads in the state and say hello...hit up the alumni office for some help with this...the network does work out there. Takes a little nudge sometimes, but it is worth your time.

Best Regards...
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby SMUnick » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:40 am

I'm studying business... the cox school of business is a pretty impressive place. I need to sign up for my classes pretty soon though. I'm going to this mustang corral or whatever in a month or so to meet incoming freshman... You guys have any tips and pointers for me over the next four years at SMU??? (I am from the Bayarea, in a small town called LosAltos, it is about 30 min from SF, 10 min from Sanjose, and 5 min from Stanford)
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:58 am

SMUnick wrote:10 min from San Jose

Cheer for the Stars and not the Sharks :wink:

Sorry, couldnt resist, Big Stars fan here :lol:
Mustangs35SMU

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:03 am

yeah, i have to travel up to the bay area every 1-2 mos -

my biggest customer is norcal waste -

bet u heard of them-

glad to have ya!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Next

Return to Football