PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New SMU fan here

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:01 am

SMUnick wrote:I'm studying business... the cox school of business is a pretty impressive place. I need to sign up for my classes pretty soon though. I'm going to this mustang corral or whatever in a month or so to meet incoming freshman... You guys have any tips and pointers for me over the next four years at SMU??? (I am from the Bayarea, in a small town called LosAltos, it is about 30 min from SF, 10 min from Sanjose, and 5 min from Stanford)
Tips & pointers: BE A MUSTANG! Don't just 'pretend' to be a Mustang. Live & breathe what SMU is all about. Learn all about its history and traditions. Soak it all up. Do you know who Doak Walker was? Do you know who Kyle Rote was? Do you know who Jerry LeVias is? Do you know who Jon Koncak is? Do you know who Jerry Heindenrich was? Do you know who Matty Bell was? What was Mustang Mania? Who were the members of the Pony Express? (I could go on and on with this...!) Learn the words to the SMU Fight Song. Learn where our mascot Peruna got its name. Learn how SMU got the nickname "The Hilltop". Learn the history of the SMU band and how it got it labeled '99 Guys and a Doll' (a long time ago). Don't just say you go to SMU...BE SMU! Attend the football, basketball and soccer games with dedication. Be a LEADER, not a follower. Stay until the very end of the game. Don't leave your seat until after you've sung "Varsity" with the Mustang Band (both at the beginning and end of games). Sing "Varsity" like it's the most beautiful alma mater EVER!...Because we all know it is! In other words, BE A MUSTANG! Give it all you've got...and then some more. Just remember: Being a Mustang isn't easy...but it'll make you a better person in the long run.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:04 am

All that suger...I think I'm gonna puke...
jtstang

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:10 am

Learn the history of the SMU band and how it got it labeled '99 Guys and a Doll' (a long time ago).

It was labeled 96 guys and a doll, not 99. Also, don't forget it was and is still called "The Best Dressed Band in the Land". Do you know why?

If you want to learn the history of the Mustang Band, call the bandhall at 214-SMU-BAND and ask for a copy of the history. I am sure they will provide.

THANK YOU mm65 for posting what every SMU student, alum and entering freshman should feel. I just wish more people associated with SMU and even Dallas had half of your vision.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby regis » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:23 am

there's also an abbreviated history posted on http://people.smu.edu/band/History.htm...

do you play an instrument? one of the best ways to learn about the history, traditions, and spirit of SMU is to be a member of Mustang Band.

welcome to the hilltop!
regis
Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:27 am

i remember going to the games in the 60's -

they were really a class-act back then -

my uncle, who was an aggie & our friends who were big razorback fans (from texarkana) loved our band & talked about the '96 guys and a doll' whenever football was the topic -

this act and popularity lasted for more than a generation or so -

i remember they like our band & their music more than their own!!!!! truthfull!!!

they were truly incredible back then!!!

so much for the mediocrity of political correctness of today :cry:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:29 am

96 GUYS AND A DOLL

NOT 99
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:32 am

whoops - thx / i changed it :oops:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:56 am

jtstang wrote:All that suger...I think I'm gonna puke...

But as least you are consistent.

:roll:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:06 am

Water Pony wrote:But as least you are consistent.

Hey this is a football board. You guys can blow all the sunshine up this newbie's skirt you want, but it's only gonna make him more disappionted when he witnesses the current disarray firsthand.

As for the new guy, look you have made a great chioce of college, in a great town, with a great cirriculum for the major you seek. Now live college life the way you want to. Go to the Boulevard, go to the games, join a frat, do whatever you like to do. If you want to know about the history of the band, more power to you. If not, so be it. And who knows, maybe by the time you're done, the football team may actually put a few wins together. We can always hope.
jtstang

Postby SouthernMustang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:12 am

If they want students to get excited, they should teach them stuff at orientation. I know coming from of high school everyone wants to be "cool," but if the orientation people would make it "cool" to go to the games and have school spirit- we wouldn't have this problem.

My friend's little sister said that last year, at Mustang Corral, they called on some random student leader to lead them in the school song, fight song, chants, etc and called that "Spirit & Traditions." Even worse, the girl leading the freshmen didn't know the words to anything so she just read them off of a power-point screen once, and that was it. So basically, the 200 kids at that camp didn't learn any of it ... but she said they did make sure to spend 2-hours talking about the alcohol policies and what not. Holy Hell, it's Mustang Corral - the only thing I remember about that freshmen year was meeting people and learning all the school tradition stuff... they really need to get the band involved in that.
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby Dooby » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:37 am

This is the most cynical thing I have ever posted on this forum, but it is true:

Nick is gonna come to campus in the fall excited about SMU. He is going to buy an SMU hat and wear it to the first home game. By Spring, Nick will be wearing a well-worn USC baseball cap to class everyday, just like half the student population is wearing well-worn UT and OU caps today.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:45 am

SouthernMustang wrote:Holy Hell, it's Mustang Corral - the only thing I remember about that freshmen year was meeting people and learning all the school tradition stuff... they really need to get the band involved in that.

Did anybody bother to ask the band to participate?

I know it is right before school starts and the band is busy putting together their first half time show and teaching their freshmen school spirit and history, but if somebody would ask the band to participate, I bet they would be more than happy to accomodate.

It just amazes me how many times the people at SMU just don't ask. While working on The Mustang Band Partnership project, we were asked how we got Jerry Levias involved, and our reponse was simply - "We asked him."

True story.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Dooby » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 am

DiamondM75 wrote:
It just amazes me how many times the people at SMU just don't ask.

So true. No one ever thinks to bring up simple ideas or ask the most obvious questions.

I know when I graduated in 1995, after a terrible commencement speaker in 1994, the students in charge of "senior type stuff" organized to ensure we had a better commencement speaker. My understanding is we were giving an honorary degree to Bill Cosby that year. And finally somebody thought to say, "Has anybody asked Bill Cosby if he would be the commencement speaker?" I think that person was met with blank stares from the administration. So, he was asked and he agreed. It probably ended up being one of the best commencements ever. At least that is my understanding of how it happened.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 am

Dooby wrote:I know when I graduated in 1995, after a terrible commencement speaker in 1994, the students in charge of "senior type stuff" organized to ensure we had a better commencement speaker. My understanding is we were giving an honorary degree to Bill Cosby that year. And finally somebody thought to say, "Has anybody asked Bill Cosby if he would be the commencement speaker?" I think that person was met with blank stares from the administration. So, he was asked and he agreed. It probably ended up being one of the best commencements ever. At least that is my understanding of how it happened.

I graduated law school in 1995, and Cosby's commencement address for the overall university was hilarious. At law school commencement, Judge Creuzot spoke on the merits of affirmative action, an idea which I happen to subscribe to, and in that right wing crowd you could've heard a freaking pin drop. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 am

Jerry LeVias probabaly has some special memories of the Mustang Band----as far as I can recall he is the only SMU Football player ever to have his own fight song/chant. Remember "Go Jerry-Umm-Ahh"?
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football