PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TT-AM Series

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MustangSally » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:51 am

DixieTech, I agree, college games should be kept most available to the college students and remain on campus. Selling out in Dallas would give some publicity, but that would also be such a neutral atmosphere and the game would always be overshadowed by/compared to the OU-UT game. I'm getting very tired of seeing games played just about anywhere. Sure it could sell more tickets or appeal to a new crowd but it eliminates much of the history and tradition involved with going back to the old campus and stadium. And your free student tickets aren't much good if you have to get a train or plane to get to the stadium.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby redraidersweetheart » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:26 pm

The thing is...this game doesn't need anymore publicity. It gets a national telecast every year and sells out consistently, in both cities. In 2 of the last 3 years this game has gone into overtime and is always so fun to watch.

They won't move it because they know the students don't want it there and won't get as "into" the game as they do now. This wouldn't ever be a UT - OU and no one wants it to be....
redraidersweetheart
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 pm

from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal:

Texas Tech Athletic Director Gerald Myers acknowledges he`s had informal discussions about moving the Texas Tech/Texas A&M football game. But he says, it`s just been talk. So on Thursday, your city leaders began discussing the issue and they had a tough time agreeing.
Councilman Tom Martin proposed a resolution that would formally declare the city`s opposition to moving the game from Lubbock or College Station. But others didn`t second the motion, so the resolution failed.

Although the city would not decide if the game moved, passing a resolution could influence the Texas Tech Athletic Department.

"I didn`t feel like I had enough adequate information and background (on the subject)," said Lubbock City Councilwoman Phyllis Jones. "I am concerned about the economic impact, but I am sure Tech is probably looking at the possibility of adding another game that weekend."

"I think the vast overwhelming majority of the people in this community are not happy with that prospect (of the game moving to Dallas)," says Lubbock City Councilman Tom Martin. "The Lubbock Chamber of Commerce conducted a survey and 90 percent of businsses said they were opposed to such a move."

This year`s game scheduled for November 5 will remain in Lubbock.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football