PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

new jerseys

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

new jerseys

Postby smuwins » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:16 am

The new jerseys are out and they are look very good from what i hear, they are the same red with the same SMU but they have a white lining going down from the shoulders on each side of the numbers and blue on the sides, they are a less flashy version of the falcons style
smuwins
Junior Varsity

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:14 am

Lets go ahead and put the new slant logo on the side of the helmet to complete the Arenaball look. We had the best Uniforms in the country during the Pony Express years!
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:52 am

Instead of having a new jersey/uniform EVERY YEAR, we oughta have the "uniform-of-the-week" (jerseys, pants, helmets, shoes, socks) and include a different helmet logo each week. Then let the fans vote on their favorite at the end of the season... and then retire it and never use it again. See if the NCAA would waive the "jersey numbers rule" for us to allow Roman Numerals... keep it interesting for the fans (and spotters).
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:16 am

Bergermeister wrote:Instead of having a new jersey/uniform EVERY YEAR, we oughta have the "uniform-of-the-week" (jerseys, pants, helmets, shoes, socks) and include a different helmet logo each week. Then let the fans vote on their favorite at the end of the season... and then retire it and never use it again. See if the NCAA would waive the "jersey numbers rule" for us to allow Roman Numerals... keep it interesting for the fans (and spotters).

LOL Uniform of the week...like Clemson
CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:38 am

CalallenStang

Postby ponydawg » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:05 am

I think we should go back to the old Leather Helmets with no face masks.
those were tight yo.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:12 am

The team should switch uniforms at half-time like the band!
couch 'em

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 am

sounds very Canadian Football League. Let me add my .02 cents. We had the best uniforms in the nation in the eighties-quit messing with them.
Stallion

Postby huntnfish » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:23 am

Stallion,

I know we disagree on Rossley's coaching but at least he did not trick up the uniforms the way Cavan and Bennet has (besides the red pants in 1996).

Let's go back to the 80's and early 90's look.
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:31 am

that's fine but NO BLUE MUSTANG and no spacing of the red and blue stripes. As far as I'm concerned Gregg started this whole mess by having to have his own little imprint on the uniform. When they have a Q & A at the Fashion Show which is sure to happen at the Preseason Luncheon please someone stand up and ask why the best uniforms in the country keep getting bastardized each year-that would be thev signal for traditionalists to break out in wild applause.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:48 am

You know the answer. We wanted to change our luck, look more urban to young recruits, blah, blah, blah, blah. I'm surprised that they didn't get Tommy Hilfinger to design the uniforms. He would have changed our school colors to khaki, lime green and pink. Then the students could relate more to the players. And while we're at it, make all the players wear black doo rags.
EastStang

Postby huntnfish » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:52 am

right now the mustang on the helmet looks like a red blob from the stands
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:22 am

huntnfish wrote:right now the mustang on the helmet looks like a red blob from the stands

I agree. The only thing that needs attention is the helmut. Even with the silver outline, the Mustangs lacks impact, especially from a distance.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby smuwins » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:33 pm

Ill have to be the one that goes against all you old people. The truth is jerseys do matter to new recruits and current players. Yes I agree that the tradition of SMU is important and special but look at teams like Miami and Nebraska who have "modernized" their jerseys and created a little attention. Maybe, if anything, this will provide a little attention to the program and I think we could use all that we can get. Also, I have talked to many players and they all seem to love the new jerseys. Its not like the ones we have had the past two years are the same as the traditional SMU jersey anyway. I think this will help pull in recruits and make the players happy.
smuwins
Junior Varsity

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 pm

smuwins wrote:Ill have to be the one that goes against all you old people. The truth is jerseys do matter to new recruits and current players. Yes I agree that the tradition of SMU is important and special but look at teams like Miami and Nebraska who have "modernized" their jerseys and created a little attention. Maybe, if anything, this will provide a little attention to the program and I think we could use all that we can get. Also, I have talked to many players and they all seem to love the new jerseys. Its not like the ones we have had the past two years are the same as the traditional SMU jersey anyway. I think this will help pull in recruits and make the players happy.

Lets do a little study- I bet the top teams in the country do not jack with Uniforms in a major way. USC, OU and Texas have looked the same for years and they have all the recruits they can handle.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football