PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium & Honored Past Greats?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ford Stadium & Honored Past Greats?

Postby PonySoprano » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:33 pm

The first season of Ford Stadium we honored serveral past SMU greats during halftime and we even "retired" their numbers. I remember we "retired" Lamar Hunt's #80, Forrest Gregg's #73 and Raymond Berry's #87. (Doak's #37 had already been "retired").

Also, over the past couple of years we have also honored Eric Dickerson, Don Meredith, and Jerry Levias (I might be forgetting some others).

My question is where is the visible recongnition of these greats and the fact that we have "retired" their numbers in Ford Stadium?

I would expect that somewhere from your seats, we would be able to see these players names and numbers, along with the years they played prominently displayed. Maybe on the facade of the sky boxes, or banners/signs on the scoreboard structure, etc. Just another example of how we tend to ignore our history.

Are there any plans to have some type of visible recognition of these guys at Ford?? - and I am not talking about hanging banners in the concourse of the Stadium over the consession stands. It seems strange that we bring them in for a game, present them with a plaque, but then don't do anything else.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:39 pm

..went to a game at Georgia Tech last season..they have very cool banners highlighting past bowl games & past conf. championships...
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Just one more case of Copeland dropping the ball and wasting our heritage.
There should be a Ring of Honor like TX Stadium (and many college stadiums).
OldPony
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Kinda funny how you can walk thru the concourse and see all the folks who contributed money for the stadium honored, but none of the past players. Shows you where the athletic dept priorities are.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1982Express » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 pm

jtstang,

Have you ever been to Ford Stadium? Do you have seriously impaired vision? The entire concourse is filled with banners hanging down portraying SMU greats. You could not miss them if you tried. They were there last year. They were there for the Red & Blue game. Again, I must ask if you have ever been the Ford Stadium?
1982Express
Scout Team

Postby 1982Express » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Also, saying that we do not honor past greats is strange. If I am not mistaken, there is a statue of Doak Walker in Doak Walker Plaza at Ford Stadium. Is THIS not honoring past greatness?
1982Express
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:47 pm

1982Express wrote:Again, I must ask if you have ever been the Ford Stadium?

Ah, perhaps the more pertinent question is "have you ever been to Ford Stadium sober?"--I usually come in straight off the 'vard after all.

Your point about Doak Plaza is well taken, although I wish Ford would've shown the proper class and demanded the new stadium be named for Doak.
jtstang

Postby PonySoprano » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:15 pm

Very good point about Doak Walker Plaza. Its unfortunate that it is on the East side of the stadium since I believe fewer people see it/walk through it because the majority of people come from the Boulevard into the west side.

However, I still think you should be able to sit in your seats at the stadium and look around and see reminders of past greatness -- both individuals and teams. At the very least, we should have something within the Stadium that acknowledges our 1935 National Championship.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby MustangSally » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Currently, there are banners hanging in the concourse (like 1 every 30 feet) with pics of past greats.

Also, in reference to the retired numbers, I believe there were flags/pennants at the top of the north stadium wall. They were blue with the retired numbers on them. Of course, nothing like a statue or permanent plaque but to stick up for the ath dept, I had to mention that I remembered those flags.

The Doak Walker plaza will look a lot nicer when they finish that rec center, though its true most people walk in from the blvd side.

I think it'd be neat to see something recognizing our 1935 team, or maybe banners or signs for each bowl game. Then again, they might be scared people would say "what happened to all the ones after 1984."
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:52 pm

On the other hand, the Doak Walker Plaza is on the side where most visitors come to enter the stadium...good for them to see a little of our history...don't you think.
PK

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:41 pm

OldPony wrote:Just one more case of Copeland dropping the ball and wasting our heritage.
There should be a Ring of Honor like TX Stadium (and many college stadiums).

I do like the "ring of Honor" idea, Just so long as "pony Lite" players don't show up. You put Dan Frieburger in there and I'm leaving!
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Ikus » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:44 am

There should be HUGE pictures of those whose numbers have been retired hanging INSIDE the stadium, not just in the concourse. My suggestion would be to hang them on the face of the pressbox/club seats, so that when other teams look up from the visitors' bench, they see Eric Dickerson running at them, Forrest Gregg ready to run them over, or Doak Walker flying by them. You simply can't have too many reminders of the greats in our football tradition.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 am

It is just unfortunate that there hasn't been anything "great" about the program in 20 years!
PonySnob

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:33 pm

You simply can't have too many reminders of the greats in our football tradition.[/quote]

It's tastefully done as it is. Few people want to see the overkill of a bunch of old junk hanging around the stadium. They can tour the Mustang Museum/Heritage Hall for the total experience.
Bergermeister

Postby Grider » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:58 pm

1982Express wrote:Also, saying that we do not honor past greats is strange. If I am not mistaken, there is a statue of Doak Walker in Doak Walker Plaza at Ford Stadium. Is THIS not honoring past greatness?

We need to all thank the Phi Lodge for that wonderful tribute!
Grider
All-American

Next

Return to Football