PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Emmanuel Sanders Shines in THSCA All-Star Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Emmanuel Sanders Shines in THSCA All-Star Game

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Sanders playing IR, CB, and on special teams made plays all over the field for the winning South squad. Sanders caught about 5 passes for about 100 yards and rushed for another 14 yards on a single carry. Big plays included:

-14 yard run on an inside reverse straight up the middle for 14 yards
-made a great grap on a screen thrown backwards where he had to reach back and somehow got both hands on a low pass which would have been a fumble and recovered by the North
-a great open field tackle as the GUNNER on KO coverage
-Sanders biggest play was a 62 yard run and catch where he settled into a sideline seam getting about 12 yards open then cut to the inside elude a host of defenders to take it another 30 or so yards to the 5 yard line
-a nice 10 yard catch on the typical inside recriver sprint upfield where he ran his man off the route and curled to to make the catch
-Sanders made a nice tough catch reaching to pick a pass off his shoelaces and turning it upfield for about 12 yards
-Sanders made a nice catch on a crossing pattern -broke a tacle and went for about 18 yards
-with 5 minutes left in the game he was brought into the game to cover the North's most dangerous receiver A&M recruit Howard Morrow- and made play after play in the next two minutes to stiffle the North.
-on about a 20 yard throw he showed great closing speed and stepped in front of Morrow almost making an interception but knocked the ball away
-made a nice shoe string big play stopping tackle when a receiver broke away from another teamate
-perfectly defended a fade to the endzone and knocked away the North 's last gasp throw the end zone
caught every pass in his zip code-the South missed a big play opportunity when he slide into the middle of the field and got about 5 yards open but the passes was thrown several yards behind him although he had open field to the other side
-his coach obviously had a lot of confidence in him as he was obviously a big part of the gameplan. Played just about every down on offense, the last 5 minutes on defense, as a GUNNER on KO return and as secondary returner to Jamal Charles on Punt Return.
-he was by far the most impressive of the protypical Inside Receivers. He was interviewed by Fox SW in front of a throng of family member all wearing T-Shirts his mom made with his picture. Said "SMU was great to him. They told him we need you. We need a big play guy." He did make one bad play when he caught a 5 yard pass but was stripped of the ball which was run back for a TD. The former Aggie announcer said he talked to him during the week and he described himself as elu--sive" He had a simply outstanding game and showed he might be ready to play as a freshman-the biggest problem may be deciding where-offense or defense.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby thatpony » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:02 am

He sounds really good hope that the transference from high school to college goes well for him.
thatpony

He sounds really good hope that the transference from high school to college goes well for him.
thatpony

thatpony

Postby ponydawg » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:19 am

Great to watch football again! Sanders looked great and very confident out there, and bounced right back after his fumble. Was that Charles going to UT the brother or cousin of Shanderrick? He was truly talented last night, but the difference between Sanders and him was that I couldn't understand a damn word coming out of his mouth.
I think I saw Mapps return 1 or 2 kickoffs, no fumbles, so that is a start!
Who was the big african american kicker who kicked off the first quarter. We obvioulsy did not recruit him as a kicker, so what else does he play?

ihatetcu
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grider » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am

ponydawg wrote:Great to watch football again! Sanders looked great and very confident out there, and bounced right back after his fumble. Was that Charles going to UT the brother or cousin of Shanderrick? He was truly talented last night, but the difference between Sanders and him was that I couldn't understand a damn word coming out of his mouth.
I think I saw Mapps return 1 or 2 kickoffs, no fumbles, so that is a start!
Who was the big african american kicker who kicked off the first quarter. We obvioulsy did not recruit him as a kicker, so what else does he play?

ihatetcu

That's his brother.
Grider
All-American

Postby Danny Noonan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 am

Id he going to play WR or DB?
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."
Danny Noonan
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:59 pm

I always assumed he was going to play WR, but maybe this will be one of those deals where the assistant coaches start lobbying Coach Bennett for his services?

He was extremely impressive last night. Just my opinion, but I would think he has as good a chance as anyone to play as a freshman.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby thatpony » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

GrapevineMustang wrote:He was extremely impressive last night. Just my opinion, but I would think he has as good a chance as anyone to play as a freshman.

Yes he is a good player and I know u said in ur opinion but all D-1 Athletes were some what amazing in high school and considering the line up that we have at WR he gonna have to do some out of this world things to not get RedShirted
thatpony

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:10 pm

name one SMU receiver who is a proven long ball threat? ANSWER:____________. SMU's receivers are average AT BEST. SMU desperately needs a guy like Sanders or Lowery to step up otherwise there will not be a running game and Eckert will be running for his life
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:55 pm

Stallion wrote:name one SMU receiver who is a proven long ball threat?

Zack Sledge. Oh wait, you said proven...
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby WorldStang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:01 pm

I say line-up Jerad Romo at QB and WR.. let him throw the deep ball to himself! Dual Threat QB!
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 am

Woke up this morning, turned on TV, and to my surprise, saw a rerun of this game on Fox CS Central. Nice to see what all the fuss is about. Sanders did look great as a receiver. But my favorite part was when he switched to corner and absolutely OWNED Morrow for the last 4 minutes. This guy is an athlete. It was frustrating when he made that stellar play on KO coverage, and the announcers didn't even acknowledge it, because they were too busy talking to Joe Washington about Jamaal Charles. We might see this kid on the field sooner rather than later.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hal » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:52 am

Where's Morrow going, A&M I think?
Is there a chance he's so good at CB that he plays there, instead of WR?
Or (maybe a year or two down the road), could he play offense AND defense?
Sounds like a really special athlete. Can't wait to see him play.
Hal
Varsity

Postby davidsmu94 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:42 pm

why wouldn't we try letting him do both?
davidsmu94
Heisman

Next

Return to Football