PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Other Observations From THSCA All-Star Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Other Observations From THSCA All-Star Game

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:25 pm

--this J.D. Medford kid is thick-I bet he might be only 6-1.5 but he's got big strong meat clever arms not usually seen in high school. He got one of those nose guard big butts that take up space. It was a little hard to tell about his quickness because I didn't see him much but get this-he kicks off and on his 2 first attempts got the ball to the 5 and 10 respectively so he is able to move that big ole butt for something. Might be a guy to keep an eye on down the road.

-Patrick Handy played all game at LT and most of the time was bookended by Ross Nigh at RT. They played a part in a very consistently strong running game behing Jamal Charles and also Keith Gilliam from Kilgore. The North had some impressive speed rush DEs who although making some plays on Handy and Nigh had a battle on their hands. They played opposite some high caliber DEs it appeared and you couldn't say they dominated although they appeared to have the ability to do so. Handy appeared to be about 6-2 maybe slightly smaller. He might be better suited to the DL since he too has a big ole NG butt. Handy made a great cut block to the lower part of a charging DE which cut him down and allowed the QB to make quick screen over an overloaded defense to the power side which Jamal Charles took about 30 yards for a TD,.Parham got hurt on that play but came later to make a 4th Q tackle. Parham is listed as 6-1.255 and that looks about right-I was worried he might be smaller.
-Parham, Handy and Medlock have very similar proportions and I would not be surprised to see them all lined up in the interior of the defensive line. Parham started for the North.
-Jeff Brock made a tackle limiting the runner to a 1-2 yard run up the middle.
-3 recruits that got away looked outstanding. Of course, Jamal Charles had about 100 yards and at least 3 TDs-he may be better than I thought. If you want to know who he plays like-its his brother Shanderrick with a little Joe Washington thrown in(BTW Washington was interviewed about Charles. The kid should step in and play as a freshman if Brown has any balls-he has the ability to be a Chris Bush type at USC. Warning to opponents Charles had the best High School times in the country in the 100 and 300 hurdles which he uses to his enormous advantage.
-both SMU targets Chris Dunn(Tulane) and DE Moton Hopkins (Tulsa) are going to be studs. Dunn is an effortless tall WR who made at least 4 big catches including a TD. Moton Hopkins is a hard rushing DE who made two consequtive sacks. We really could have used the talents of those kids.
-Parham started and I believe made 2 tackles-
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Other Observations From THSCA All-Star Game

Postby Fresh » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:49 am

Stallion wrote:--this J.D. Medford kid is thick-I bet he might be only 6-1.5 but he's got big strong meat clever arms not usually seen in high school. He got one of those nose guard big butts that take up space. It was a little hard to tell about his quickness because I didn't see him much but get this-he kicks off and on his 2 first attempts got the ball to the 5 and 10 respectively so he is able to move that big ole butt for something. Might be a guy to keep an eye on down the road.

Very encouraging description!

Stallion wrote:Patrick Handy played all game at LT and most of the time was bookended by Ross Nigh at RT....
Didn't Handy also get a little time on the defensive line?

Stallion wrote:-both SMU targets Chris Dunn(Tulane) and DE Moton Hopkins (Tulsa) are going to be studs....
I agree, they were impressive, but I don't know that I'm ready to annoint them as college studs just yet. After all, there's a certain former all-conference DT named Allan Adami who, when asked what the adjustment from HS to college ball was like said that during his first year, the ball would be snapped and all of a sudden he'd wonder where the ball had gone. I think Dunn and Hopkins will be fine players, but it's hard to guess before they suit up and play at the college level.
Fresh
Varsity

Return to Football