PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#35 SMU Upsets A&M (1974)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

#35 SMU Upsets A&M (1974)

Postby PK » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 pm

PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Caballo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 pm

Louis, Louis, Louis. Kelcher was a fun player to watch. Can you imagine a nose guard running down screens on successive plays.

It was also good to see Oscar Roan's name in the article. For you youngsters, he was also a pretty good basketball player.
Caballo
All-American

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:49 pm

Aahhhhhh, memories....when was the last time we had an afternoon like that in Big D?? I loved Ricky Wesson, a three year starter, post Keith Bobo, another GOOD GUY! Those were pretty decent teams in the early 70's....maxon / morris / roan / ricky / bobo / thompson / kelcher, etc....for you newbies, we even dominated tcu back in those days. long live david Bostick.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:51 pm

That was a great game and Kelcher was all over the place that day. That was also the day in which we screwed up the Aggie half-time show by blowing whistles mid way throught their trademark "Block T" routine. All in all it was a great great day. And to top it all off the Band played an even longer than usual concert to keep the Aggies from having their postgame yell practice. Needless to say, the Aggies were not happy campers.
EastStang

Postby Rayburn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:40 pm

One of my favorite games. Funny how time plays tricks on your memory, but I thought Wayne Morris vaulted the A&M line for the TD but I guess that was Wesson. I also remember it as cold and rainy and overcast.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:50 pm

you know a lot of people say that some of 1970's teams weren't much better than the talent we see today. Let's compare-Roan First Team All-American and starred in the NFL, Louie Kelcher-First Team All-American All Pro in NFL, Wayne Morris-Freshman All-American who was injured as a Soph but still started for about 5 years in the NFL, Alvin Maxson one of only a handful of 3 time All-SWC players and played in the NFL for about 4 years. Ted Thompson All-SWC and started in the NFL for many years. Can't remember if Henry Sheppard played that year but he was AllSWC and All Pro in the NFL. Robert Polpelka had graduated by then but there's another All-American from the early 1970s. . These are just the few players I'm remember after 30 years. There is no comparison between even our average teams in the 1970s and the talent we see today. Sorry Pony lite fans.
Stallion

Postby 1982Express » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:20 pm

Makes you wonder what things would have been like if Bum Phillips had become coach instead of Dave Smith. Well, all we can do is speculate. But Louis Kelcher, what a wonderful player.
1982Express
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:23 pm

Smith was a terrible hire. That was Fry recruited talent except for Wesson and Whittington. We still were only 3-3-1 in conference that year. We beat Va. Tech, Oregon State and North Texas OOC. Lost to Ohio State in Columbus. We might have beaten Baylor if we weren't on probation for paying players (sound familiar) and had a chance to go to a bowl. They won the conference, that year, and came to Dallas clearly inspired to go to their first Cotton Bowl. In 1975, the wheels came off the car and we were 3-8 that year, and 3-5 in conference play with wins over Baylor, Houston and TCU. Smith got fired, Meyer got hired.
EastStang

Postby Caballo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:32 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote: long live david Bostick.

In all his carries while at SMU, he never lost yardage. Brother, that says something.
Caballo
All-American

Postby ponyte » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm

Great game and a great performance by a great player...Kelcher. And one nice fellow if one ever gets a chance to me Louie.

Oh, bye the bye, David Bostick quit the football team about mid season in 1976.
ponyte

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:04 pm

that uni & helmet kelcher was wearing was truly a classic!

thank God they didn't use a pix from the actual game with those silly immitation ohio st helmets!!! what a disaster of a uniform :wink: !!!!

why the administration ever allowed that!!!

but then again, we see history repeating itself again 31 years later.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby carolina stang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:58 pm

I remember a cold, rainy day and what a game. Thanks East Stang for the Band Memory. It was quite a sight to see the block T screwed up. I was a freshman in high school and made the drive from Commerce with my parents. That game took the wind out of the Ags. They fumbled the game away against Texas a few weeks later and missed going to a bowl.
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:33 am

I went to that game and had dinner that night with a couple of the A&M players…wearing my SMU Mustang sweatshirt, of course.

Besides the players Stallion mentioned, Kenny Harrison was a pretty good receiver who also had an NFL career.

And Ponyte, I have forgotten…what was the story about Bostick.
SoCal_Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:05 am

hey SoCal_Pony -

what were the ags saying after that game during dinner?

i was there as a freshman!

great game!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponyte » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:16 am

Bostick was playing linebacker that year (1976). That was a hard year as we played Alabama in Birmingham that year and got a lot of fellows hurt. So we were short of personnel at LB. Bostick was to be the première LB for us. He just didn't have the year the coaching staff had hoped for and they let him know. Bostick had a disagreement with their assessment of his performance and instead of proving the coaches wrong, he simple quit the team. He was still playing baseball so remained in school and played baseball that year.

A couple of years later, as we were preparing for a game, we were watching old game film of our opponents. Normally, the offense never saw the game film of the defense and vise versa (takes too long and we didn't get any thing other than entertainment value). However, on this occasion no coach was around and a wide receiver played the defense portion of the game film. His comment was. "Watch Bostick." I did and literally every play Bostick was not simply blocked but knock off his feet. This went on for play after play after play and this game film was not against Alabama or Texas or some other power.

There may be far more to this story than I know and have related. Ron Meyer and his staff didn't put up with players that didn't perform. One would be benched if they didn't perform. Bostick may have been in this exact situation and reacted differently than others. I cannot imagine a Putt Choate doing the same as Bostick though. Or a Ricky Wesson or a Joe Bays or a Jim Duggan (http:/www.hacksaw.newpathproductions.com/Main.html).
ponyte

Next

Return to Football