PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU football growing up?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU football growing up?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:17 pm

Looking at the current roster, I see 14 seniors, 28 juniors, 20 sophs and 47 frosh. Those numbers include walk-ons and you expect to see a lot of freshmen hoping to earn scholarships or just living out their dream of playing college ball...but looking closer I see about 20 juniors who should see significant playing time this year as well as about 10 of this year's seniors. Maybe the best news is that next year we will actually have more than 2 seniors in the 2-deep OL & DL.

I've been looking forward to the 2006 season as the one we can most likely expect to see significant improvement in the SMU football program. We will have more JRs and SRs in the 2-deep than we've seen in many, many years. I can't help but remember the '92 team and those 35 seniors who avenged their freshman season's 95-21 loss to Houston by beating the Cougs at SMU's homecoming that year.

Can never under estimate the benefits of experience. This year's 2-deep FINALLY has a lot of JRs and SRs at most positions and if the all important QB position doesn't beome a problem, I really do think we are going to see a .500 team soon...possibly as early as 2006. Let's see what happens with recruiting when these guys start winning more often than they lose.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Ron Myers said the line should be seniors

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Back in the bad old days of Ron Myers and the pony express, Myers siad that a good team should lose their starting linemen to graduation every year. When this happens, you've got experinece and depth. SMU is still about a year away from being able to field such teams.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Ron Myers said the line should be seniors

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Back in the bad old days of Ron Myers and the pony express, Myers said that a good team should lose their starting linemen to graduation every year. When this happens, you've got experinece and depth. SMU is still about a year away from being able to field such teams.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:07 am

the rest of that story from the Ron Meyer era is that the OL should be two deep with equally capable guys. Back then, the OL rotated with one unit playing 2 quarters and the "back ups" playing most of the other two. Gotta be 2 deep on both lines with no major drop off between 1st and 2nd guys before we can expect success. Bennett is doing a good job building depth in both lines. Cavan admittedly had some baad luck with his recruits, but so has Bennett (injuries and academic casualties are part of the game)
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:26 am

And the choir sings :D :lol:
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Return to Football