PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attention You Lazy [deleted] Students

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Attention You Lazy [deleted] Students

Postby Mustang1412 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:22 pm

Before you rip me for the subject of this post; I would like to say that I too was a lazy [deleted] student. I graduated in Dec and was in Dallas for 5 football seasons and saw a grand total of 5 games (pathetic i know). I was in a fraternity so I plopped down at our tent and drank myself stupid and zig zagged my way back to my apartment by the time people were leaving the game after the first half. I am new to this board and I am sure this has been said many, many times...but without people going to the game, how the hell do you think we are going to get better? If you were an all-state player and you came for a recruiting visit, would you want to go here? Unless we start cheating again, this team will never get any better without the support from you.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:50 pm

I don't know where to begin...
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:15 pm

jtstang wrote:I don't know where to begin...

Just dont begin at all
Mustangs35SMU

Postby BrianTinBigD » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:18 pm

I vote for cheating. Getting the students involved appears to be a non-starter around here. All those in favor say "Aye"... :wink:
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby Mustang1412 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:27 pm

Well Mustangs35, if this is something that is shocking to you you either A) Have not been going to the Boulevard, or B) Are a complete moron. Simply ignoring the problem is not going to solve it.[/quote]
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:31 pm

What has changed in the last 30 years around here...? Nothing. I was at SMU from 1977 - 1981. We would load on the ATO beer bus....drink beer ALL the way to the Cotton Bowl OR Texas Stadium...drink beer before the game, maybe, MAYBE head in duirng the middle of the 1st. Q....back out to the bus at halftime..2 more beers, "hey look..the Phi Delts, Betas, Fijis, etc. are ALL out here too,,," Go in the middle of the 3rd. Q...Hhmm, down 28-10 to Texas tech..back out to the bus.....ALSO, during the GREAT Pony Express days, you couldn't hardly get one more body in to the Stadium Club, with backs turned AWAY from the big glass picture window.."Eric who", she said....winning, losing, ranked, unranked, SWC, WAC....SMU is basically a party school / social school, but unlike Ole Miss for example, we really DON'T care about football, as a group......I enjoy the games now, really I do, but I was ALWAYS a better fan AFTER I graduated!! Long Live Dorthy & RB.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:32 pm

Mustang1412 wrote:Well Mustangs35, if this is something that is shocking to you you either A) Have not been going to the Boulevard, or B) Are a complete moron. Simply ignoring the problem is not going to solve it.
[/quote]

I know Mustangs35, and I don't think you got his meaning. Then again, I don't know.

I know we can't cheat and pay players to get here, but can we give incentives to the student body for attending the games?
CalallenStang

Postby BrianTinBigD » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:43 pm

Since the NCAA will no longer allow us to pay the players, we pay the students. You get $5 for sticking around until the end of the game. $5 for wearing SMU logo wear. You lose $3 for wearing anything with Greek letters on it. Guys get $5 for painting their faces red and blue, $10 for everything above the waist red and blue. Girls get $5 for painting their faces red and blue, $100 for everything above the waist red and blue.

These bounties will be paid at the end of the game at your seat with appropriate ID and ticket stub.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby Mustang1412 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:02 pm

[/quote]

I think this is entirely untrue. Every one of my friends at SMU loved college football (many of which were UT fans, Georgia fans, etc) and and wanted SMU's team to compete. But after going to a few of these killings (Oklahoma St. and their stud reciever getting like 5 TD catches in the first half would be an example), you lose the want to go...its embarrassing.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby Mustang1412 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:03 pm

obviously I have yet to master the quote tool.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:07 pm

you're not going to change our student body. At this point, I say just trip the turnstyles and come at the beginning if nothing else or in the third quarter it doesnt matter. I've always said our crowds are transient and you cant measure with the eye all the time. I'm a better fan now than in college too. College kids will be kids. When the football is exciting and the games are against rivals, enough people will pay attention to the game. Maybe not the sorority girls, but thats ok, they can pin their backs to the glass all they want. Doh.
Hoop Fan

Postby SMUnick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:42 pm

I was just at SMU for a freshman orientation, and I was told that this year there will be "door prizes" (things given out before the game to the first 10,000 people etc..) Maybe this will attract more students???
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:48 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:What has changed in the last 30 years around here...? Nothing. I was at SMU from 1977 - 1981. We would load on the ATO beer bus....drink beer ALL the way to the Cotton Bowl OR Texas Stadium...drink beer before the game, maybe, MAYBE head in duirng the middle of the 1st. Q....back out to the bus at halftime..2 more beers, "hey look..the Phi Delts, Betas, Fijis, etc. are ALL out here too,,," Go in the middle of the 3rd. Q...Hhmm, down 28-10 to Texas tech..back out to the bus.....ALSO, during the GREAT Pony Express days, you couldn't hardly get one more body in to the Stadium Club, with backs turned AWAY from the big glass picture window.."Eric who", she said....winning, losing, ranked, unranked, SWC, WAC....SMU is basically a party school / social school, but unlike Ole Miss for example, we really DON'T care about football, as a group......I enjoy the games now, really I do, but I was ALWAYS a better fan AFTER I graduated!! Long Live Dorthy & RB.

A lot has changed for the worse, and maybe it started downhill just after
I graduated in 76, with your group in 77-81. Maybe the Boulevard is a way TOO "ADULT ENTERTAINMENT" picnic for the students especially freshman, and sophomores.

I saw it first happening in the parking lot of the Cotton Bowl when we started playing there in the mid 90s. BBQ, and drinking tailgate parties off of buses. Lots of students with more "hooking up" ideas on their minds than football that probably couldn't, and DIDN'T find their way into the Cotton bowl after they had way too many beers.

I was a member of a fraternity that rented a bus to the game at the Cotton Bowl on Saturdays. We had a keg for the pre-party on the bus, but the GAME was THE BIG EVENT! Everybody was off the bus, and at the game. If an alkie or 2 came back early, they didn't drink enough for us to notice.

The main party for "hooking up" was a VICTORY, or drowning our wounds party later at the house. Maybe the team getting fired up, and beating Baylor out of the gate would grab the student's interest, and make coming to the game THE PRIORITY.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:17 pm

no I think the problem has been around a lot longer than 1994.
Stallion

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:25 pm

PlanoStang wrote:
HixsontoLeVias wrote:What has changed in the last 30 years around here...? Nothing. I was at SMU from 1977 - 1981. We would load on the ATO beer bus....drink beer ALL the way to the Cotton Bowl OR Texas Stadium...drink beer before the game, maybe, MAYBE head in duirng the middle of the 1st. Q....back out to the bus at halftime..2 more beers, "hey look..the Phi Delts, Betas, Fijis, etc. are ALL out here too,,," Go in the middle of the 3rd. Q...Hhmm, down 28-10 to Texas tech..back out to the bus.....ALSO, during the GREAT Pony Express days, you couldn't hardly get one more body in to the Stadium Club, with backs turned AWAY from the big glass picture window.."Eric who", she said....winning, losing, ranked, unranked, SWC, WAC....SMU is basically a party school / social school, but unlike Ole Miss for example, we really DON'T care about football, as a group......I enjoy the games now, really I do, but I was ALWAYS a better fan AFTER I graduated!! Long Live Dorthy & RB.

A lot has changed for the worse, and maybe it started downhill just after
I graduated in 76, with your group in 77-81.

That's why I said it started downhill maybe just after I graduated.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football