PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All time SMU team

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:13 am

QB in my view would be a shootout between Hixson, Meredith and Livingston (remember he was the Cotton Bowl QB in the 60's).

TE Oscar Roan was an All-American, I agree with Stallion.
WR What about Miracle Man Bobby Leach. He wasn't the best in numbers but he was clutch.
Perhaps you could have a category for kick-off and punt returners that would add Rote, Arthur Wittington and Leach to the list.
OL - Ray Schoenke - played like 15 years in NFL and I assume was pretty good blocking for Meredith.
For Punter I'd name Craig James since I he didn't make it at running back.
Too bad we don't know much about those 1930's teams. The linemen on those teams went toe to toe with the likes of the Fordham Seven Blocks of Granite and had leather helmets with no face masks.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:36 am

Since we seem to have a problem with too many backs and too many OL, maybe we should have a 1st and 2nd team.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 am

One could also consider Jim Duggan on the OL. Yes, he went on to much great fame as a championship wrestler. However, he was one tough son of a gun as a tackle in the early and mid 70s and all SWC.
ponyte

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 am

actually Mac White was the "starter" on the 1966 Championship team although Livingston was the often used bullpen ace. Then he got hurt in 1967-enter Inez Perez. Livingston had a nice career but shouldn't be included with Hixson, Meredith, Benners and McIllhenney
Stallion

Earlier Heros

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:58 pm

At QB - Bobby Wilson (mid 30's) - passing wizard that was Doak's idol, J. C. Wetsel (Wilson team mate AA G - two ways) , Paul Page & [deleted] McKissack (from Doak Walker era), [deleted] Hightower (AA Center in 50's), John LaGrone (DT in 60's) Plenty of early heros that most of us didn't see but should be considered. Shame that SMU doesn't have an All Time team on EA sports NCAA Football as they would be a competitive bunch.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Rayburn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:44 pm

How could I forget about John LaGrone? Billy Bob Stewart was a hell of an LB, too.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby d_pony » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:40 am

we have forgotten (until now) possibly the best D. Tackle of all time - Large Louie Kelcher - 1972-74 -- 15 years in the NFL
d_pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:50 am

No he was listed in the first attempt to name an ALL-SMU team and nobody - absolutely nobody has or should disagree. I do feel strongly that DT Harvey Armstrong is among the most underrated players in SMU history and should be the other DT over Carter, Ball and LaGrone.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Football