PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

For those of us who complain about the DMN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

For those of us who complain about the DMN

Postby ponydawg » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:38 pm

We always complain that the DMN doesn't give us any coverage....here you go.........hope we prove them wrong.....

C-USA coaches poll ranks SMU last
11:46 PM CDT on Monday, August 1, 2005

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

In a Conference USA football coaches poll released Monday, UT-El Paso was picked to win the Western Division and Southern Miss was selected to win the Eastern Division.

UTEP is one of conference's six new schools in a 12-team, two-division format. In the Western Division, Houston was selected to finish second, with Rice fifth and SMU sixth.

Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams was picked as the preseason offensive player of the year, and Rice defensive end John Syptak was named the defensive player of the year. Tulsa wide receiver Ashlan Davis (Mesquite Poteet) was named preseason special teams player of the year. Davis led the nation in kickoff return average (30.6) and set an NCAA record with five returns for touchdowns.

C-USA PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

Eastern Div.
Pts.

1. Southern Miss

2. UAB

3. Memphis

4. Marshall

5. East Carolina

5. Central Florida

Western Div.
Pts.

1. UT-El Paso

2. Houston

3. Tulane

4. Tulsa

5. Rice

6. SMU
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:44 pm

I have switched to the Star Telegram and get my SMU news/opinions from ponyfans.com and the athletic website. I got tired of complaining and fightin' the battle. The glory days of the DMN are long gone. I've found I really enjoy the Star Telegram... the coverage of THEIR D-1 school is pretty impressive... all sports.[/i]
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Bergermeister wrote:I've found I really enjoy the Star Telegram... the coverage of THEIR D-1 school is pretty impressive... all sports.[/i]

Probably because (1) their D-1 school has a football team that's won more than 6 games in three years generating interest within the Tarrant County general public, and (2) it's the only game in town. The DMN gives SMU exactly as much coverage as the market demands.
jtstang

Postby Casey » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Which, again, underscores the contention that the DMN is not interested in reporting news -- even Dallas news -- it's interested in selling papers. It's a cyclical thing: give a team/group/issue more pub, and more people will be aware and show more interest. To suggest that something is not worth covering because people aren't fighting to be there in person is inane, at best. I've personally sat in on some extremely important City Council meetings that were less exciting than watching paint dry. Only a handful of people took the time to attend, but these were meetings that dealt with the distribution of Dallas County tax dollars -- excruciating to listen to, but important to all of us (when I lived there.)
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:07 pm

Casey wrote:Which, again, underscores the contention that the DMN is not interested in reporting news -- even Dallas news -- it's interested in selling papers. It's a cyclical thing: give a team/group/issue more pub, and more people will be aware and show more interest. To suggest that something is not worth covering because people aren't fighting to be there in person is inane, at best. I've personally sat in on some extremely important City Council meetings that were less exciting than watching paint dry. Only a handful of people took the time to attend, but these were meetings that dealt with the distribution of Dallas County tax dollars -- excruciating to listen to, but important to all of us (when I lived there.)

Yeah, then there's SMU. That's apples to apples.
jtstang

Postby Col. Nathan R. Jessep » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 pm

Why are you pi$$ed at Calvin or the DMN?

The 'other' coaches voted-- not the paper(s).

Gives you more of a reason to attend each Home Game...

BECAUSE:

IF 6 home games= 6 Wins, SMU goes bowling...

BU
TCU
TULANE
ECU
RICE
UTEP

-
YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Varsity

Postby Football Fan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:15 am

6 wins does not guarantee a bowl game, it makes you bowl eligible. You have to be invited to one.
Football Fan
Recruit

Postby Bocephus » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:03 pm

when tu was winning 5 games per year the statemen still gave them a hell of a lot more coverage than the DMN give y'all. The DMn is a t-sip rag mainly b/c 3 out of every 4 of thier sportswriters is a sip graduate.
Bocephus
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:15 pm

Bocephus wrote:when tu was winning 5 games per year the statemen still gave them a hell of a lot more coverage than the DMN give y'all. The DMn is a t-sip rag mainly b/c 3 out of every 4 of thier sportswriters is a sip graduate.

Look cultist, the DMN writes about Texas and your Ags and the Big 12 more than SMU because 3 out of every 4 readers would rather read about them. Don't they teach supply and demand (albeit in terms of livestock) down at A&M?
jtstang

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:19 pm

jtstang,

the DMN sucks, even when we had a few guys make 1st team All SWC and ALL WAC (by the coaches vote) after the death penalty, the good 'ol DMN often gave them 2nd team nods. I understand we will get more coverage when we win, but the above is ridiculous from your hometown paper.
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:45 pm

What are you arguing about exactly? If lack of SMU coverage meant less newspaper sales, there'd be more SMU coverage. But it doesn't, so there isn't.

I mean, they cover all our games as it is, and they could've covered all of our wins in the last three years in six editions. You may think the DMN sucks because they don't make our guys 1st teamers, but I say your priorities are screwed up--how about hoping for some wins rather than a smattering of sportswriter-picked 1st teamers?
jtstang

Postby Dooby » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:18 pm

How many times have I asked this question and not gotten a response: Which do you think there are more of in the metroplex, SMU season ticket holders or UT season ticket holders? If an SMU game and a UT game were on TV at the same time, which do you think would get a better rating? If you hesitate to say SMU for even a moment before answering, then you have cannot complain about the lack of coverage for SMU.

And again, if the DMN covered us more, you'd be compaining about the negative coverage. In case you haven't realized, there are not a lot of positive things to say about SMU football.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:49 pm

jtstang,

don't you have a spelling bee to prepare for :lol:
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:05 pm

huntnfish wrote:jtstang,

don't you have a spelling bee to prepare for

Nice. My advice to you is if you can't defend a position, don't have one.
jtstang

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:41 pm

thanks for your advice :lol:

my point was our hometown newspaper should be promoting our players or at least giving them as much press as other papers or coaches, not giving them a demotion to second team, is that really that hard to understand and agree with

I thought you were a great basketball player, why don't you find a basketball board to type on
huntnfish
Varsity

Next

Return to Football