PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

For those of us who complain about the DMN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:52 pm

huntnfish wrote:my point was our hometown newspaper should be promoting our players or at least giving them as much press as other papers or coaches, not giving them a demotion to second team, is that really that hard to understand and agree with

Okay, now maybe we're getting somewhere. Why do you believe this?
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bocephus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:19 pm

jtstang,

speaking of supply and demand, where do the largest majority of SMU alums live? Would it make sense from a business standpoint that if you catered to those alums a little more that you would sell more papers? Did you learn the law of supply and demand at the elementary school that you are attending? Or are you still working on holding your crayon correctly?
Bocephus
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Bocephus wrote:jtstang,

speaking of supply and demand, where do the largest majority of SMU alums live?

What does it matter to you, cult-boy? As long as they write about your fighting farmboys, you're happy right? How's that bonfire coming?

No seriously, there are far and away more Big 12 alums in D/FW than SMU alums, and the morning news is just going with the market. That's all. Enjoy fishing camp.
jtstang

Postby Dooby » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:35 pm

speaking of supply and demand, where do the largest majority of SMU alums live? Would it make sense from a business standpoint that if you catered to those alums a little more that you would sell more papers? Did you learn the law of supply and demand at the elementary school that you are attending? Or are you still working on holding your crayon correctly?

Assume 90% of SMU alums live in D/FW. Further, assume 90% of Univ. of Dallas alums live in D/FW. Should the DMN provide equal coverage for both Univ. of Dallas and SMU? Of course not. SMU is much larger.

So, even though SMU probably doesn't even rank in the top five in total alumni in the metroplex, why should the DMN provide equal coverage to SMU than those schools, which probably have more buying power based on newspaper circulation and tend to be more newsworthy anyway by being winning programs?

That is what makes sense from a business standpoint. Identify the size of the fan base of the various schools and rank them according to size and likelihood of buying newspapers and plan your coverage accordingly. And if that were done, you are drunk if SMU would be getting better coverage in the DMN than it is getting today.

Does anybody really think anyone in the Belo building thinks they are losing money by not covering SMU more than UT or A&M? If so, Economics 1301 awaits; as an alumni, they might let you audit it. Do they still have it in that big classroom in Umphrey Lee?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:01 pm

I recently found a copy of the January 2, 1983 Dallas Morning News, and guess what? When we were winning there was lots of coverage!

I've got the front and sports pages, which are yellowing, but the color pictures of the Cottom Bowl are awesome. Wonder where's a good place to get stuff like that framed or shadow-boxed?
jtstang

Postby BUS » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Garden Ridge.

50 to 60 % off - Oh yeah

It is MUCH cheaper to find a picture of mirror that is the same size as what you want framed.... The have them take it apart and put your picture or paper inside.

My experience is what is 400 to frame ( discounted to 200 ) you buy a framed ??? for 50 and pay another 20 to have them change it out.

Best of luck.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bocephus » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I just feel that as the hometown school, SMU should get more play in the DMN. Compare how the Chronical covers UH and Rice to how the DMN covers SMU and you would be surprised. BTW, I think the Chronical absolutely sucks as a paper.

jtstang,
You sound like one of those people who are still upset they couldn't get into A&M Don't worry, you really can get a quality education at Brookharvard or Richland. I hear quad C has some very good french fry distribution programs. You should look into that.
Bocephus
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:02 pm

You sound like one of those people who are still upset they couldn't get into A&M Don't worry, you really can get a quality education at Brookharvard or Richland. I hear quad C has some very good french fry distribution programs. You should look into that.

Cool, maybe we can strike a deal that suits your potato degree.
jtstang

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Bocephus, I think you've been reading the wrong newspaper; try the Chronicle.
Bergermeister

Postby Bocephus » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:17 pm

berger, freudian slip. always see it referred to as the "comical"
Bocephus
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football