PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Baylor Recruiting Comparison

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:57 pm

huntnfish wrote:actually it comes down to our defense actually stopping someone and not giving up the big play. the big play has killed SMU the last few years. it seems everytime we blitz we get no pressure on the QB and our secondary is exposed, we need better athletes at the LB position to blitz

And I say it comes down to our offensive line who has to protect our qb and allow the playmakers some room to operate. Cant win if you cant score. But really it all comes down to the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our qbs have not been in position to decide many games lately.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stein000012 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:16 pm

I agree completely. It's hard to throw a good ball when you're on your butt immediately after hiking the ball. Get a little more time and our QBs could do some damage. I am taking the money line on SMU!!
stein000012
Junior Varsity

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:00 am

Hoop Fan,

Can't win if you can't score is usually referred to by those having a great defense and the other team not being able to score.
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby Caballo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:43 am

How problematic has it been the last few years when the other team scores like ten points and we knew it would be hard to overcome that deficit? And that usually happened in the first quarter.

We need an offense that can move the ball and score some points. That keeps the defense off the field for our usual 40-50 minutes a game, and gives us some confidence that we can score more than 10 points.

I see our defense being improved this year, barring injuries. We now need the offense to gel and tow their end of the rope.
Caballo
All-American

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:56 am

huntnfish wrote:Hoop Fan,

Can't win if you can't score is usually referred to by those having a great defense and the other team not being able to score.

Well since we've had neither a good offense nor a good defense over the past three years when we've only won six games, it really doesn't matter, does it. If either is improved at all, we'll necessarily be better.
jtstang

Postby Corso » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:11 am

Billy Joe wrote:It all comes down to one thing....the play of our QB. If our QB does not turn the ball over and eliminates the negative plays, i.e. sacks, then we should be able to compete and maybe beat Baylor.
If the offensive line doesn't keep the QB upright and in one piece, he'll have no chance to make plays. Not to steal BUS's thunder, but everything rides on the big uglies up front.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby BUTitan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 pm

We will have a freshman playing (if he gets cleared, which is a 70% chance). His name is David Gettis WR from California, watch out for him. For some reason we have benn getting quite a few transfers as well(that are eligible to play this season).
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby oakley » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:09 am

I think BU's OL will demonstrate dramatic improvement this year. BU's coaching staff chose to redshirt a number of players last year who will be available this season. The OL short-handed play explains last season's 2nd half drop-offs. Many of the games were lost as a result of running out of gas midway through the game.

Personnel depth is better as is team speed. The DL will be the biggest unknown - the biggest area on which every BaylorFan is focused, because several games last season would have been won IF BU's DL stops the run. In the BigXII, a team cannot win if it cannot stop the run.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:10 am

Have the Bears opened training camp?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby oakley » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:43 am

report today.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby Roach » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:01 am

Of course, this year's class was really Coach Bennett's THIRD class -- his first class consisted largely of Cavan recruits.
Roach
Heisman

Re: SMU Baylor Recruiting Comparison

Postby bearliving » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Really good points. I'm not a big college football fan by any means, so I can't really say where we or you guys rank in regards to every other team in the nation, but I've been researching your team and obviously I know the Bears. So, with that said, let me pick out some things you said:

SouthernMustang wrote:So SMU outrecruited BU 2 out of the 4 years, 1 year they were only 4 ranking spots apart -- and neither of last year's classes *SHOULD* be on the field.

Very true. I think that the only way there could be discrepencies between the team is

(a) these are "diamonds-in-the-rough" type of guys or

(b) coaching staff can build these guys into solid players.

I know that our strengths coach, Big John, is known across the country for his outstanding program (not just for the football team but our #4 baseball team, our #1 women's basketball team, and gold medalists Jeremy Wariner and Darold Williamson) so that should be at least some type of edge. I know for a fact that especially our o-line is leaner, faster, stronger, etc. but again, we'll see once we hit the road.

Baylor has started out very, very slow under GuyMo... 2 years ago under Morriss they lost to UAB at home, and then were stomped 52-14 by UNT on the road. Also, beat Sam Houston something like 24-6 at home -- not exactly a dominant performance.

Last year -- they got slammed at UAB (56-14) and then beat Texas State 24-17. The win against UNT was good -- but it just seems like Guy Morriss is able to get them geeked up for a few games a year, and not keep any momentum.

We really really struggle on the road. The UNT game was an embarrasment, plain and simple. It'd be like if you guys went to a Juco and lost. Last year's UAB game was painful, but understandable. Our QB was experiencing his first D1 game, had no O-line to protect him, and consequently our defense was run ragged the entire day. These are all excuses, and hopefully we'll be past them this year.

I also wanted to comment and say that the first two years have been hard in terms of getting the players into the schemes that Morriss wants to run. We've therefore had a pretty weak playbook with little surprise, but already we're seeing a difference this year in what we have in our arsenal.

Both years they beat 1 Big XII team at home ... and did nothing with it. They also lost 2 close Big XII games they should've won (KU and ISU). I know they cite improvement, but were demolished 44-14 to Texas, 35-0 to OU, and 42-17 to Tech. How bad were they losing before? If they played better during the first quarter or until the half, well that's nice -- but SMU would've won 5 or 6 games in 2002 if games were called then (including BU)... yet we laid a goose egg that year.

I first want to comment on the bolded question. We were really bad. I mean, I sat through games where we lost 70-0. Several in one season. I saw us get demolished by Cal 70-14 or something like that. Typically what happened with us is that we'd hang with them for the first half while our defense still had energy, but by the second half they were so tired, the other team could throw their second team out and still run up the score -- I'm sure you guys know the feeling too. In the past we've also had a defeatist attitude where as soon as we start losing, we give up. This has changed this year. If the a&m win did nothing else, it showed that if we just stick with it, no matter how far back we are, we can do some good stuff. The two close losses in Big 12 play is also demoralizing, but I feel like we finally have the ability to stay in those games mentally and physically (thanks to Big John).

They had the exact same record these previous 2 seasons as well. It just seems to be the same team and same type of season under Morriss the past 2 years-- recruiting improved one year, but as Stallion pointed out, that won't make an impact one month from now.

Yes, we've had the same record the past years, but it's a different story and season. We've narrowed our losses, improved our turnover ratio -- all the things that if they continue to get better we'll win some games. It does sound like smoke and mirrors, but I think in the next couple years we'll see Baylor building on these strengths to build a respectable program.

Recruiting is a different story. You make it sound like our last class was an abberation, but I believe it is part of a stronger trend. For example, a big part of recruiting are the relationships and respect built between the staff and high school coaches. It takes a year or two for those to finally build. Also, it is getting more important to look at kids at a younger and younger age to get them interested in your program. As such, after you have built a recruiting network for a couple years, you finally have the ability to look at those type of kids. Baylor recruiting will get much better, especially after some more wins.

Also -- some BU fans seem to think that they will out# SMU fans at this game. Granted, our fan support isn't great. But Tech brought 18,000 fans out of the 34,689 last year. Baylor will probably bring around 1/2 that ... and I would expect around 18,000-20,000 SMU fans (hey that many showed up for SJSU). A large contigency of BU fans? Yes .. Outnumbering SMU? Hardly.

I would expect about 15,000 from Baylor. You have to realize that this is the first game of the season, an easy roadtrip for students, and there are a lot of Baylor alum in the Dallas area. I think our fans want this win more than you do. Also, I know several people who aren't alums from either school but are just showing up to see a pillowfight -- so they're just as much our fans as yours. I don' think we'll outnumber you, but in terms of passion, I think we'll give you a run for your money.

SMU's improvements were very inconsistent last year, but a lot of us will credit that to youth and inexperience -- hopefully the year of growth and exp. will help early in the season ... as in a home opening win for the first time since 2000.

I agree that your youth is/was a big problem, and something we faced as well. Inconsistency is also evidence of a weak mental game. While some of that can be changed with experience, some of that is what is instilled in the kids by the coaches. I know that this year has seen a huge difference in how the Baylor players act in practice. Last year, they would go through the motions to get the drill done. Now, they do the drill twice because they know it will make them better. Mistakes are not funny anymore, they now cause more practice. All I'm saying is, these guys really want the wins and if you guys are ready, good luck.

[/quote]Does anyone know how to join the Young Alumni Association and get the tailgate package BTW? The link on ther website doesn't work.[/quote]

Can't help with that, but Baylor's Young Alumni page works just fine.
#25 athletic program in the nation ain't bad...
bearliving

Re: SMU Baylor Recruiting Comparison

Postby Danny Noonan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Stallion wrote:Yes its his 5th year and its put up or shut up time.

4th, but the point remains the same.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."
Danny Noonan
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:30 pm

Stallion- You know I don't think much of Bennett. However, put up or shut up time has already arrived and gone for Copeland. I don't want him to ever replace another coach at SMU. If we don't fire Copeland, we may have to wait forever since there appears to be no one in charge of evaluating JC's lack of performane. The monkey has run the zoo long enough
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 pm

I agree-I thought I was the originator of the "look up the totem pole" for the real problems argument.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football