PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Just Curious

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Just Curious

Postby Mustang1412 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:48 pm

Has anybody on this board met any of the current players on the team? I had multiple in my sociology classes and one stands out as the coolest guy...DD Lee. Really mellow guy, even partied with him once.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Ryan Kennedy is a class act. Met him at The Spirit Shop last year and
again at a bball game this year.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:24 pm

I don't think this even counts, but I did get a phone message last fall from Jerad Romo, thanking me for my Mustang Club donation. "Hello, [Mr. Knucklestang], this is Jerad Romo, quarterback of the SMU Mustangs, and I wanted to thank you for your Mustang Club donation of $50..." $50!!! My friend was standing there when I played the message, and he was like, "WTF?!?!?...all you did was give 50 bucks to the athletic dept. and you get a call from the quarterback?!?! WTF?!?!" I guess they made that poor bastard Romo sit at a phone bank and call donors and thank them personally. I actually thought it was a cool idea, and I hope they continue doing it. Anyway, that was my only "contact" with a current player, and it was not much; but I will say, that Romo youngster was quite pleasant. From his message, I could tell his mama and daddy raised him right.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 pm

I got the same call from Tony Eckert, as I think all Mustang Club donors did. I had a good time telling my stepdaughter, now a sophomore at LSU, "I don't see JaMarcus Russell calling your phone..."
RGV Pony

Postby Corso » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:10 pm

I've met dozens of players on this team, and I can say without hesitation that Coach Bennett and his staff not only are recruiting better athletes, they're also recruiting men of great character. I can't think of a single player who has been anything but positive, gracious and courteous to my family and me. Yet another reason I'm always proud to be a PonyFan.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Had Eckert in a class - he seemed like a nice guy. Always surrounded by fine chicks. His Louis Vuitton wallet just doesn't sit right with me though...heh....

Don't know Romo, but I've heard he is a riot.
couch 'em

Postby PonySnob » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:24 am

Corso wrote:I've met dozens of players on this team, and I can say without hesitation that Coach Bennett and his staff not only are recruiting better athletes, they're also recruiting men of great character.

And all of those "better athletes" and "men of character" have won 6 games in 3 years. Hard to say anything is better until it shows in the win column. Bennetts honeymoon has got to be over!!!!
PonySnob

Postby Corso » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:26 am

The original question was about what kind of guys the players are. If you really prefer to go through life looking for any and all possible reasons to be miserable, feel free.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:50 am

maybe you guys should take this over to the gossip column -. I agree with Pony Snob I'm really a lot more interested in seeing a team nthat wins a few game every once in awhile as opposed to having a team of Boy Scouts.
Stallion

Postby giacfsp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:56 am

Who said anything about not wanting to win? We ALL want the Ponies to win.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:42 am

Stallion wrote:maybe you guys should take this over to the gossip column -. I agree with Pony Snob I'm really a lot more interested in seeing a team nthat wins a few game every once in awhile as opposed to having a team of Boy Scouts.
Hmmmm....let's see: Boy Scouts motto is 'be prepared'. Boy Scouts are trustworthy, loyal, obedient, brave and reverent...just to name a few qualities. Boy Scouts ain't exactly a bunch of pansies...survival techniques and life-saving methods are just part of their training. The majority of our military leaders were Scouts.
Frankly, I'd be proud to say if any of the Mustangs were Boy Scouts...

You're probably thinking about the Boy Scout leading a little ol' lady across the street... :roll:
MrMustang1965

Return to Football