PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2 back Offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2 back Offense

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:24 pm

I remember Bennett said at the Happy hour we were going to a 2 back offense. I like the thought of a bruising fullback leading the way in the hole. I also like the thought of using a 2 tight end set. With Chase and Kennedy we should get some great blocking.
Our history of 3 and out has kept our defenses on the field way to much. I am hoping the changes will result in some sustained drives and give the defense a breather.

Thoughts???
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:05 am

I doubt you'll see it. Coach Bennett might have meant we'll USE two backs, but I would bet that would mean primarily a rotation of running backs, whether it's Dorsey, Massey, Turner, Henderson or Martin. Coach Burns is largely a one-back guy, preferring to go with three wide receivers (at least based on his past offenses). And who would be your bruising fullback? Massey has lost weight since last year (increasing his speed and quickness), and none of those other guys carry a ton of weight.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby giacfsp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:59 am

Agreed. Massey and Dorsey could block for each other, and perhaps quite effectively. But I think Coach Burns is more prone to having three wideouts and maybe adding a second TE, as LakeH said, to help with the blocking.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:30 am

don't be surprised to see a TE like Andrew McKinney lined up at FB and move in motion for extra blocking on short yardage situations. Perhaps that's what he meant. Tech for example incorporates that strategy in their passing attack.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 am

Stallion wrote:Tech for example incorporates that strategy in their passing attack.
Isn't it amazing what Leech can learn from a Playstation 2 video game? :lol:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:00 am

Stallion wrote:don't be surprised to see a TE like Andrew McKinney lined up at FB and move in motion for extra blocking on short yardage situations. Perhaps that's what he meant. Tech for example incorporates that strategy in their passing attack.
Good point, Stallion. A lot of NFL teams use that approach, too, with TEs who can run, block and catch (i.e. Joe Gibbs, Paul Holmgren, etc.)
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Return to Football