PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eckert Gets First Snap per DMN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eckert Gets First Snap per DMN

Postby ponydawg » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 am

Eckert gets first snaps, but QB job is still open

01:39 AM CDT on Thursday, August 4, 2005

UNIVERSITY PARK – Coach Phil Bennett said the starting quarterback job is open. Tony Eckert was the first to take snaps with the first-team offense during the Mustangs' opening day of fall practice Wednesday.

Bennett said Eckert, who started eight games last season, and Jerad Romo will share repetitions with the first team in practice. Chris Phillips, who started the first three games last season, is No. 3 on the depth chart.

Calvin Watkins

Turner recovering from surgery, may miss season

UNIVERSITY PARK – Junior left guard Bryan Turner, who started seven games last season, is still recovering from complications from an appendectomy and probably will miss the 2005 season. Turner, who is normally 275 pounds, suffered from pneumonia and lost 33 pounds.

Coach Phil Bennett said Turner will be evaluated in the next two weeks to determine if he can play. If not, Turner will be redshirted.

Calvin Watkins

Briefly ...

UNIVERSITY PARK – Jonathan Lindley and Brandon Jones performed well at right corner during the first day of practice. ... Sophomore Cedrick Dorsey appears to have the upper hand in the battle for the top running back spot. ... Redshirt running back DeMyron Martin (Allen), who is recovering from off-season surgery, practiced with a right knee brace as a precaution.

Calvin Watkins
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Eckert Gets First Snap per DMN

Postby SWC2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:02 pm

ponydawg wrote:. ... Redshirt running back DeMyron Martin (Allen), who is recovering from off-season surgery, practiced with a right knee brace as a precaution.----------Calvin Watkins

Damn- DeMyron is the super sleeper of the recruiting class of 2004
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:37 am

Anyone know WHEN he had the surgery? I would think Dorsey and Massey have the lead for running duties, but all the talk about Martin makes him intriguing, too.

With the speed Henderson and Turner have, when's the last time we had five RBs with the potential of this group?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Grider » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Hoofprint wrote:Anyone know WHEN he had the surgery? I would think Dorsey and Massey have the lead for running duties, but all the talk about Martin makes him intriguing, too.

With the speed Henderson and Turner have, when's the last time we had five RBs with the potential of this group?

I bet Martin is gearing up for a medical redshirt.
Grider
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Isn't that something that can be awarded only AFTER he completes his fifth year on campus?
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Grider » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:43 pm

Pony4Life wrote:Isn't that something that can be awarded only AFTER he completes his fifth year on campus?

don't think so, both Massey and Phillips have had one unless I'm imagining something
Grider
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:46 pm

But did either of them take a regular redshirt year? (Maybe Massey -- drawing a blank.) I think if a guy sits out a year because of injury and then plays four years, he's done. If he burns his redshirt because coaches want him to learn, lift, etc., and THEN gets hurt, the NCAA can award a medical redshirt. And even then, it seems to be selectively inconsistent (see Trey Bandy, as opposed to Ramon Flanigan and DD Lee.)
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Grider » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Pony4Life wrote:But did either of them take a regular redshirt year? (Maybe Massey -- drawing a blank.) I think if a guy sits out a year because of injury and then plays four years, he's done. If he burns his redshirt because coaches want him to learn, lift, etc., and THEN gets hurt, the NCAA can award a medical redshirt. And even then, it seems to be selectively inconsistent (see Trey Bandy, as opposed to Ramon Flanigan and DD Lee.)

I think you're right. I just thought it was more of a formality of "granting" the med redshirt. I forgot about Bandy.
Grider
All-American

Return to Football