PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#28 Back to the Cotton Bowl (1949)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

#28 Back to the Cotton Bowl (1949)

Postby PK » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:00 pm

PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:16 pm

you're telling me there are 27 SMU moments greater than a Cotton Bowl victory behid Doak Walker and Kyle Rote in SMU History? Whoever did this list is a moron. SMU has exactly 2 victories in major bowls in its history.Of course, it doesn't compare with the great Mike Romo beating a Division 1-AA team.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1982Express » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Maybe I am mistaken but I recall SMU beating Oklahoma in the Bluebonnet Bowl in one hell of a game. I remember SMU beating Pitt in one hell of a Cotton Bowl. And I remember SMU beating Notre Dame in the Aloha Bowl. But I guess two of those games are not major at all. Tell that to the boys on those teams, [deleted].

And as far as this moment is concerned, it is a great one. I was there with my grandfather. It was a great game, no doubt about it. But I know there have got to be a lot of great moments to come. But someone already asked you this before, so I will ask again. When do we get to see your Top 90 moments list.

I am just glad someone is taking the time to do these moments. Sure, sometimes the grammar and punctuation are not always correct, but at least its being done. Its nice to know our history. I have learned a lot of new and great info about SMU. For instance, the SMU-Army moment was wonderful. So I say good job to the ones doing this. And Stallion, I look forward to reading your posts about how horrible the final 27 moments are.

Your good friend,

1982Express
1982Express
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:01 pm

Stallion wrote:you're telling me there are 27 SMU moments greater than a Cotton Bowl victory behid Doak Walker and Kyle Rote in SMU History? Whoever did this list is a moron. SMU has exactly 2 victories in major bowls in its history.Of course, it doesn't compare with the great Mike Romo beating a Division 1-AA team.

Yup you're RIGHT on this one. My Dad told me when I was first beginning to become a Mustang fan in elementary school that SMU had beaten Oregon before. He grew up just outside Beaverton near Portland.

The Mustangs were about to play Oregon in the 63, or 64 Sun Bowl. I think it was 63, since it was before New Years I believe. Same year we beat Navy's Roger Staubach, & co. 32 - 28. We lost against Oregon with me watching on TV 21 -14.

He told me they had won the SWC 2 years in a row, while he was in the Navy, and at school at SMU. During the 49 Cotton Bowl game we beat them 21 - 14, and my second cousin was playing for Oregon.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football