PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations from practice

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Observations from practice

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:04 pm

OK, it's not like the team was going through a high-intensity scrimmage. However:

--> Tony Eckert looked like his arm is stronger than last year. Maybe it's because I've been dying for football to start, but it looked like he had even more zip on his passes.

--> Caleb Peveto and Ben Poynter look like linemen now. Peveto looks slimmer and Poynter looks thicker.

--> Avery Cleveland looks a lot stronger.

--> Randall Goode is shorter than I thought, but he can really run.

--> Having seen all of one light practice, I'm guessing here and now that it will be hard to keep Columbus Givens off the field. And maybe Chase Smith, too -- what a load that guy is.

--> Am I right that I thought I saw Josh Hickman on the field? Maybe they abandoned the grayshirt idea?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Chase is a big guy, but seems to struggle catching the ball. Kennedy and McDermott are much more natural receivers than he is at this point.

I really liked the 2 tight end sets as well as the natural catching ability that McDermott showed.

Givens has some nice hands, size, and athleticism. I can't wait to see him and Pellerin running the field together. That is som real siz and athleticism at WR we haven't had in ages.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:19 pm

Do you mean McKinney?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:25 pm

Forgot one observation: did anyone else notice Justin Rogers? He's enormous! He looks like he might have swallowed Blake Warren since the end of last season.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 pm

Justin is 265! And yes, Dizer and Hickman are here now. Don't forget about E Sanders at receiver, he looks good too!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Roach » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:08 am

Sanders and Givens both look good. Apparently they've changed jersey numbers, too. I looked at the school website last week and it had Sanders wearing 10 and Givens wearing 17. As of yesterday, Sanders was wearing 17 and Givens was wearing 88.

A couple of other freshmen caught my eye.

TE Jeff Brock: If they can put some meat on this guy, you might have another Ryan Kennedy. Very tall (6'5"? 6'6"?), long arms, soft hands, seemed to run well (albeit in drills -- he didn't get a lot of routes).

OL David Allison looked like he's in much better shape than I thought he'd be. I'm thinking that with some age and some years spent getting worked over by Diesel and his staff .... that guy just might turn into a real hoss.

DB Bryce Hudman. I didn't see him do anything. But he looked bigger and stronger than I thought he would.

On the other hand, Brad Lankford looked lighter than I expected. Hope he can beef up some more.
Roach
Heisman

Postby Roach » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:09 am

GrapevineMustang wrote: .... He looks like he might have swallowed Blake Warren since the end of last season.
Actually, I saw Blake running around out there. But that's still funny.
Roach
Heisman

Postby Grider » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:21 pm

JasonB wrote:Chase is a big guy, but seems to struggle catching the ball. Kennedy and McDermott are much more natural receivers than he is at this point.

I really liked the 2 tight end sets as well as the natural catching ability that McDermott showed.

Givens has some nice hands, size, and athleticism. I can't wait to see him and Pellerin running the field together. That is som real siz and athleticism at WR we haven't had in ages.

Huh, I thought Chase Smith is a DT. Maybe you're getting him confused with Jeff Brock?
Grider
All-American

Postby Corso » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:04 pm

I would guess he meant Vincent Chase.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby davidsmu94 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:56 pm

Was Phillips there? How did his arm look?
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:13 pm

Yup, Phillips was there. Looks like he's lost weight since the spring. Romo and Eckert got more snaps in the drills I saw, but when he got in there, Phillips seemed to be throwing well. He'll be interesting to watch.

Go MUSTANGS! Beat the hell out of Baylor!
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:29 am

[quote="giacfsp"]Yup, Phillips was there. Looks like he's lost weight since the spring. Romo and Eckert got more snaps in the drills I saw, but when he got in there, Phillips seemed to be throwing well. He'll be interesting to watch.quote]

Phillips is clearly the most athletic QB that we have.....it is very unfortunate that he does have the kind of work ethic that a D-1 QB has to have. Evidently, Phillips was never even on campus all summer long.....as Eckert, Romo, and the WR's were.
PonySnob

Postby BUS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:37 am

When I went to watch practice last week, he was not throwing well. Timing, aim and stuff. As everyone was leaving the field.... he alone, was doing drop drill in front of one coach.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:39 pm

Mark my words he'll be starting before the end of the year
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:44 pm

....at TE or QB? But considering we will have to pull off an upset to avoid 0-6 I'd say its pretty likely too. Assuming SMU doesn't get one of those upsets 1) Bennett will be plaqying for his coaching life and 2) focusing on developing his make or break 2006 season where a winning record will likely be needed to save his job.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football