PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations from practice

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:30 pm

ekert and romo will do much better behind the experienced OL - i don't like hearing htat phillips did not practice over the summer - anybody know why?
that's great raplh
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:02 pm

All I know is that Phillips out performed both of them in the spring game and is third on the depth chart
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:37 pm

You must have gone to a different game than we did!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:04 pm

Raplh has not set foot on the SMU campus in 3 years - ignore him
smupony94

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:13 pm

Mexmustang wrote:You must have gone to a different game than we did!

Really Mex? The numbers don't lie. Unless you can tell me how they do???
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 am

davidsmu94 wrote:Mark my words he'll be starting before the end of the year

Chris will be a terrific QB-- NEXT year!
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:29 am

SWC2010 wrote:Chris will be a terrific QB-- NEXT year!

Not if he doesn't step foot on campus all next summer and just stays at home on the couch drinking cokes and eating donuts like he did this summer!!!
PonySnob

Postby BUS » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:02 am

This summer was this summer.... 3rd team

Next summer is quite different. If next summer is like this one - It's a coaches fault for not motivating him.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ponydawg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:44 am

went to practice last friday morning:
While watching the qb's throw to the WR's running streaks down the sideline with no defense, Eckert hit them in stride just about everytime with picture perfect passes, but then again no one was in Eckert's face or on the defender. Then Phillips was doing the same drill, maybe he was working on his release but he seemed to struggle with just hitting a wide open WR. But I repeat, there was no Defense so this drill doesn't count for much when trying to decide who should start. Have always pulled for Phillips but am now at the point where I just want to win some freaken games and will just wait to [deleted] about things till I actually see them in a real game situation this season.
Then when the D did get out there Sanders had a great one handed catch, the kind where even the defenders go "daaaaaaamn!" when he did it. Chase looked huge.
Massey seemed to be a step faster.

Three years ago I remember walking down on the field with a friend thinking man we are small, looked like a High School game.....Friday, I did not think that, good to see these kids have grown and gotten bigger.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:02 am

BUS wrote:This summer was this summer.... 3rd team

Next summer is quite different. If next summer is like this one - It's a coaches fault for not motivating him.

Next summer/next year scares the tar out of me. If Phillips can't get above 3rd on the depth chart this year, why should he be handed the starting job next year? A RS-JR Phillips/ RS-FR Willis competition doesn't do much for me. I don't think it thrills Bennett, either.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:20 pm

I doubt the young man will even be around by next summer. Not uncommon for an SMU quarterback.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:13 pm

If you see him carrying a guitar around campus or a finance calculator, break them immediately.
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Phillips did have the best spring game of the 3 qbs. And he has played very respectably against the stronger part of our schedule. What have Ekcert and Romo proven over the summer? Throwing pretty spirals in the summer is nice, but it wont matter a lick against TCU and A&M if you cant take a hit when needed, avoid a hit and make something out of nothing. Thats what an SMU qb has to do most of the time. I have a hard time believing that Phillips doesnt give us the best chance to compete and win, but whatever. I'll come to the Baylor and TCU games with an open mind at least. With senior qbs, I guess we should expect results now right? There is no next season with these guys.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:38 pm

I'll come with an open mind too and if we go 0-6 I plan to add that evidence to the equation of whether its time to look for a new coach. He's going out on a limb-but its a limb of his choosing so he should have no regrets.
Stallion

Postby Dooby » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Stallion wrote:I'll come with an open mind too and if we go 0-6 I plan to add that evidence to the equation of whether its time to look for a new coach. He's going out on a limb-but its a limb of his choosing so he should have no regrets.

Yee of the doctrine that was (and I assume still is) "We can't blame the coach because the model dictates we won't be successful?" I have my own opinions; they are not that different from yours, but you made the above statement or something similar about 100 times. You certainly seemed willing to keep Cavan around when he was well on his way to his 4th losing season and looking like he was going to continue losing more games than the year before.

If we are looking at 0-6, which I acknowledge is a legitimate possibility, you might as well wait and see what happens the next week. I fully expect that Bennett, if he's 0-7 losing to ECU, gets tossed to the curb the next day. The only question being if it is Copeland's last official act or not.

But I will burn that bridge when we get there. Till then, I am trying to be optimistic.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football