PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's the WR rotation going to look like?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby WorldStang » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:27 am

Would really like to see Sanders and Givens emerge in workouts. Granted, there is more depth there than there's been in awhile.. but not that much quality IMO. Sanders and Givens are young, but everything I've heard about them and seen on a limited-basis has been pretty impressive. Plus.. they've got nice size and will hopefully get bigger.

Lowery and Warren.. while both explosive.. seem so small out there.

I know C. Cunningham (early years) and Cardwell were small too.. and somewhat successful. But they both seemed to be able to seperate from the DB's and find space.. much like Foster last year. With our QB situation.. let's hope our WRs can find a lot of open space this year.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:44 am

My guess is that Chase, Pellerin, Cleveland and Givens will fight it out for the starting spots on the outside. The slot reciever will be between Lowery, Warren, and Foster.

In the short amount of practice I have watched so far, Givens looked like the real deal and had some nice size. So I think he would be the favorite to not redshirt over Sanders.

Those are all just a guess, I have no inside information or anything like that. But what I do know is that we are better at WR than we have been in a long, long time.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:50 am

Coach B always says (like most coaches) that he'd like to redshirt every freshman. But from the reports here, it almost sounds like Givens and Sanders might make that tough on the coaches. Too good to keep off the field?
Pony Up
All-American

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:55 am

The real question is whether we'll have a passing game to get them the ball. If the o-line cannot protect the QB long enough to throw to them, it doesn't matter if Jerry Rice and Lynn Swann are lining up outside.

Are we going to pass-block worth a damn this year?
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:20 am

quite frankly Bennett has done an extremely poor job in preparing freshman to participate-if he's going to jack around with the guy's eligiblility like usual-just redshirt them-otherwise get them involved early and have enough faith in them to stick with the freshman while they develop.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:29 am

Stallion wrote:quite frankly Bennett has done an extremely poor job in preparing freshman to participate-if he's going to jack around with the guy's eligiblility like usual-just redshirt them-otherwise get them involved early and have enough faith in them to stick with the freshman while they develop.

Exactly!!! At times, a lot of our problems seem to be because Bennett has zero head coaching experience!! Perhaps he does not have the skills to effectively manage an entire football team but he is a great coordinator.
PonySnob

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:39 pm

jtstang wrote:The real question is whether we'll have a passing game to get them the ball. If the o-line cannot protect the QB long enough to throw to them, it doesn't matter if Jerry Rice and Lynn Swann are lining up outside.

Are we going to pass-block worth a damn this year?

exactly, which is why its absurd the way we tear apart the qbs every year. The protection has been so bad most of the time, you dont even know what these guys can do. One of these years the OLine has to be better doesnt it? I'm worried again with the defection of Boren, injury to Turner and Kieshnick.
Hoop Fan

Return to Football