PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

season ticket letter

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

season ticket letter

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Did anybody else think the letter from Coach Bennett that accompanied the season ticket packages stepped out on a limb a little bit? The tone of it was more than just typical optimism to me.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm

What did he say.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:47 pm

I dont have it with me, so I cant quote it, but the tone of it just sort of leads the reader to expect a good season. These letters are always full of optimism, but this one seemed more bold to me. Maybe its just me.
Hoop Fan

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 pm

At least we get letters now. I remember after the 2000 season, we got a lovely invoice. We (eight of us in our group) were so peaved, we decided not to renew. Before I fork out a few hundred dollars, I expect some form of statement from the AD or coach that winning three games is not acceptable. I still ended up going to most of the games and a smaller group has season tickets now.

Personally, I like Bennett's optimism (haven't seen the letter yet). There have been moments when I too found the optimism a little unsettling. The time that stands out is the Coach's breakfast before the San Jose State game last year. The optimism from the staff was a little disconcerting to me, it bordered on arrogance. I thought to myself that for a team that hasn't won a game in 15 tries, they might want to tone it down. Of course, they won that game by 23, so I guess they knew what they were talking about.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUguy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:18 pm

I like his optimism. Does he go over the top every now and then? Sure, a little. But I'd sure as hell rather have that than to have him go Lou Holtz on us with his "I know Notre Dame is #3 in the country, but William & Mary scares the heck out of me" speech.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 pm

I have always felt that Bennett was optimistic about the future.

In the letter, the difference from the past is that he is optimistic about this year. That is the vibe I got.
JasonB

Postby Bocephus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:51 pm

never recieved a letter with my season tickets. not even a thank you note. only thank you note I ever received was a hand written note from Butch Davis thanking me forbuying tickets to the Sugar Bowl to watch Miami play Florida
Bocephus
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:30 am

Here's the letter for anybody who didn't get their's with the season
tickets, or are just interested.

PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:51 am

I would say that that is the type of letter most coaches send out.

Go Mustangs.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:31 am

Does that mean he's inviting all season ticket holders to his house to watch the conference championship game?

Dang. Left out again.
jtstang

Return to Football