PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why not Phillips?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why not Phillips?

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:41 pm

Why is Chris Phillips not being listed as the starter for next season?

I attended both the TCU game in 2003 and the Nevada game last year and it seems that far and away Chris Phillips is the most talented player on the squad - at least in terms of potential to help the team succeed. If Texas and other schools are any indication of how valuable a mobile quarterback can be, it seems like it would make sense for the SMU coaching staff to focus their time on developing a young talent such as Phillips. Instead they seem like they've pledged their allegiance to JUCO transfers who, in my limited view, don't offer as much to the team as Phillips. Sure, Eckert is a fine drop-back passer and Romo seems pretty quick on his feet, but I saw some flashes of brilliance in Phillips the few times I did get the chance to see him play. Is there something I don't know?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm

generally, I think you are right. I for one feel like we are more potent with Phillips on the field at qb. Some things to consider, I guess, are that he supposedly had a rotator cuff injury last year, he reportedly hasnt worked out that much on campus this summer (although he looks fit to me) and he is much younger than the other guys so maybe the staff is hoping to bring him along more slowly. Kind of like our buddy Leach who starts a new senior who has been waiting in the wings learning the offense at qb every year.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyGirl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:16 pm

That's what I think: the other two are seniors, so maybe the coaches think they know the offense better (although since last year was the first year with this offense, aren't they all sort of redshirt freshmen, in terms of the offense itself?) And for what it's worth, Phillips did work out, but not with the team because of schedule conflicts. Coaches were OK with it, I'm OK with it. I saw him at practice and he looks like he's lost a lot of weight since the spring.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:20 pm

/\ It's an interesting point, but for a school that is on the brink of climbing out of the depths of mediocrity you would think that the coaching staff would want to pull out all the stops. Maybe. There is a fine line between using talent and wasting it. If my memory serves, isn't Phillips a redshirt sophomore? If so, I would think 3 years is more than enough time to learn an offensive scheme.

However, all of this plays into recruiting in some way and the coaches have to be careful to do things that make recruits attracted the school (like, for instance, putting some of the FINE SMU coeds strategically around campus on recruiting visits ;) ) and to not do things that would deter potential recruits. It's a chess match that most head coaches have to play because after all, their main job is get talent on campus.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:43 pm

If Phillips beats out the seniors then great. If not play the seniors.

In any case I would like to see Phillips get experience this year. If there is garbage time he should be the first one in to prepare him for next season.

It is not so important to get experience for the #2 senior.
8)
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Dooby » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:50 pm

I think the only thing that has been established is that Phillips is the best athlete of the QBs. That doesn't mean he will be the best quarterback. Phillips has to become a better passer-that is what quarterbacks do. The coaching staff has to have the confidence to let him throw the ball, and if they don't, I don't want him in there. Even if the coaching staff is wrong to not believe in Phillips' passing skills, I would not want him in there. If Phillips started and we used the Mickey Mouse offense of handoff-scramble-qb draw that we saw too much of when Phillips was in the lineup, that would be a mistake.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:50 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:It is not so important to get experience for the #2 senior.
8)

Truer words were never spoken.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:57 pm

Dooby wrote:I think the only thing that has been established is that Phillips is the best athlete of the QBs. That doesn't mean he will be the best quarterback. Phillips has to become a better passer-that is what quarterbacks do. The coaching staff has to have the confidence to let him throw the ball, and if they don't, I don't want him in there. Even if the coaching staff is wrong to not believe in Phillips' passing skills, I would not want him in there. If Phillips started and we used the Mickey Mouse offense of handoff-scramble-qb draw that we saw too much of when Phillips was in the lineup, that would be a mistake.

So by that logic it is NOT important to develop the player with the most potential? As I stated before, there may be thing I do not know since I don't follow the Mustangs as closely as most of you do, but I saw very little to critique when I did see him play - other than needing to improve his passing skills. But passing skills can be developed, but only with time and experience. If this staff thinks that Phillips can sit for three years and then come in and be a stellar passer, they are mistaken.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:57 pm

a 3rd stringer gets garbage time and very few reps during the season. This is a very poor decision for the future of the program.
Stallion

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:00 pm

/\ I think you said more concisely what I just said. I completely agree with that.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:25 pm

You need to ensure some wins. If Phillips is not prepared to attend summer workouts, for the second straight year, how much confidence can the coaching staff have in him?

He is great athlete, for sure. But, the best athletes aren't always the ones that win.

And if the team doesn't see him putting forth the effort, as they have been, how can the trust him, or lay down and die for him when things are on the line?

I think that it is unfortunate that he hasn't been there for the team, and the coaches would have been more than willing to put him where he 'belongs' should he have earned it. But he didn't.

My belief is that the team is more strongly behind the other 2 qbs for now, and that's the way it is unless he has some incredible fall where his ability so much supercedes this lack of commitment to the team that the team would fall squarely behind him in order to win.

Until then, its Eckert or Romo. Period.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:32 pm

/\ Can you tell me a little bit more about that? I guess I haven't heard about all of that.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby ponydawg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:32 pm

Romo is the team captain correct? Who votes on that? Is it the Coaches and the Team? Just the team? Or The Team with the coaches giving the final stamp of approval?
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:33 pm

GoRedGoBlue wrote:You need to ensure some wins. If Phillips is not prepared to attend summer workouts, for the second straight year, how much confidence can the coaching staff have in him?

He is great athlete, for sure. But, the best athletes aren't always the ones that win.

And if the team doesn't see him putting forth the effort, as they have been, how can the trust him, or lay down and die for him when things are on the line?

I think that it is unfortunate that he hasn't been there for the team, and the coaches would have been more than willing to put him where he 'belongs' should he have earned it. But he didn't.

My belief is that the team is more strongly behind the other 2 qbs for now, and that's the way it is unless he has some incredible fall where his ability so much supercedes this lack of commitment to the team that the team would fall squarely behind him in order to win.

Until then, its Eckert or Romo. Period.

really? You know this? Plenty of conflicting reports on this. The guy is there for 2 a days is he not? He appears to be more slender than last year. Summer workouts are just that. Summer workouts. Ask Northwestern.
Hoop Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:34 pm

ponydawg wrote:Romo is the team captain correct? Who votes on that? Is it the Coaches and the Team? Just the team? Or The Team with the coaches giving the final stamp of approval?

I thought DD Lee was the unquestion team leader per some article the other day. Why would your backup qb be your only captain?
Hoop Fan

Next

Return to Football