PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why not Phillips?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ponydawg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Sorry change "the" to "a" team captain.....
but who votes on this?
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HorsePower » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:11 pm

I have to admit up front that I like Phillips. I also like Romo (I've never met Eckert). And Phillips did look good last night. I don't know whether he should be starting or not, and for any of us who's not a coach to make such an assertion is speculative at best. None of us knows how hard he works, whether he's on time to meetings, whether he falls asleep during film, skips class, or anything else (I have no reason to think any of those is true). Based on last night's scrimmage alone, Phillips would be the starter. But the coaches know a lot more about how prepared each guy really is. And honestly, I think we can win games with Phillips, Romo or Eckert.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 pm

I see our rabble rousing buddy LonghornFan68 decided to return to the board... (See posts from previous seasons under the name Longhorn_Fan68 for more Phillips love.)

I love the Phillips just as much as the next guy. I have to say the Chris Phillips, from my perspective, is the best qb on the team. Do I want him to start every game and play every down (except for mop duty in blowout Mustang wins)? Yes. Would I have a problem with Eckert starting? Not really.

I think it is not being a "sunshiner" to look at these facts from last year and separate them from the rest... we won, two of our last three games last year, and three of our five home games. Eckert was the starter for all three wins (granted JRo saw action), plus Eckert and Romo worked out wiht the guys all summer... I think Eckert (and Romo) have the confidence of the team - the whole reason the coaching staff pulled the names off the jersey was to instill a team first attitude. It's fine that Phillips wanted work out on his own, and it's great that the coaching staff was behind it. But the thing is, Eckert won last year, Eckert worked with the team, and the team seems to shine to him. Well, if winning means putting character over athletic ability than let's do it. However, if Chris is the kind of talent he has shown himself to be, it will be impossible to keep him off the field.

What I don't want to happen is for the staff to pick a starter and switch gears midseason, and mid-game. It is so counter productive.

I will note that it's not the end of the world if Phillips rides the pine all year, learning the offense as the team learns to win, however...

The scrimmage last night showed that Chris is the man. And if he has to Mickey Mouse it from time to time, well just ask LonghornFan68 about his boy Vinny Y. Mickey Mousing it all over Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

I guess what I have to say is this... from a coaching standpoint, Eckert has earned the right to be the starter. If Phillips shows up again at Saturday's scrimmage (and the one that happened earlier tonight)... we might have our golden boy back in the good graces of the TEAM.

... and LonghornFan68, what you might not know, is this is something actually new for us... worrying about which of our experienced quarterback's will start for us, instead of the yearly... "Oh dear sweet mother nature, why does our qb want to play bass in a rock band - or - work as a bean counter - or - play intermural football and fight with a ref? - or - ...insert derissive coment here."

This whole quarterback "controversy" (as Postell - the president of LF68's and my highschool - once told us) is "a nice problem to have."

Right now I don't care who the quarterback is, as long as we beat Baylor... and TCU ... and aTm ... and Tulane ... and... the rest of CUSA.

-Thaddeus

Class of '01 ... PE83's just my handle (1.1.83 SMU 7 Pitt 3)
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:10 am

I think the wins comparison from last year is kind of silly - look who Ekert played vs compared to who Phillips had to play vs.

I think Phillips gives us the best shot to beat a Bayor or TCU - but I also acknowledge the coaches see more and know more then I.

What I do know is that we are not even anywhere near a team that should be worrying about bringing someone up to understand the system or that kind of b.s. - the guy who gives you the best chance to win has to be the one on the field.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:56 am

Eckert and Romo are seniors in addition to a year here, they had two years of JUCO experience. The offense that Burns runs is primarily a passing offense which is improved by a solid passer. Phillips will get some playing time I am sure. But to start the season, we need the QB who knows the offense the best, has the players covering his back, and who will give us the best chance to win. Eckert earned the start from last season and spring practice (where Phillips was according to all sources, less than acceptable). To knock Eckert out of that position, Phillips will have to blow everyone's doors off in two-a-days. If he does, then the Coach will probably look at things again. If Eckert stumbles against Baylor, the Aggies, or TCU, look for Phillips to get more and more time. One thing we all know, Bennett is not shy about yanking a struggling QB mid-game.
EastStang

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:02 am

Gostangs - Remind me which teams has Phillips beat? Of course, we have an all around better team now, but he lost to some of the same teams in the WAC, if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe you should have said look at the team that Phillips played with vs. who Eckert played with.

I also want him to succeed, but in the offense we are running now, isn’t there a premium on passing. Eckert has the edge there, from what I've seen. I am all for putting the best guy out on the field. If Phillips can beat out Eckert, he'll have earned it. As others have said, it is nice to have an argument about who starts at this position. An argument based on talent as opposed to necessity.

No matter what happens this year, I am looking forward to his great success in 2006.
Treadway21

Postby Vitale » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 am

I don't care who plays QB. I like all three, because they're all Mustangs. I want all of them to do well. But frankly, they could throw President Turner under center if they want. If he can lead us to some wins, then it's a brilliant move.

And from the few times that I got to practice two years ago, Phillips never really lit the place up in practice. He looked like a true freshman trying to wrap his mind around the offense, which is exactly what he was. Then he went out on Saturdays (especially the game against the damn froggies) and made plays. I didn't see him practice every day or anything, but that's what my (admittedly untrained) eyes saw. Maybe it has something to do with instincts taking over as defensive players are flying around.
Vitale
All-American

Postby LonghornFan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:37 pm

So can I start the put-Phillips-in-at-wideout post? Seriously, the guy should be on the field. Can he catch?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football