PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#23 LeVias punt return vs. A&M

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

#23 LeVias punt return vs. A&M

Postby 1982Express » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 pm

1982Express
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:07 pm

After beating the Longhorns in Austin the week before, SMU was back home in the Cotton Bowl to take on Texas A&M. A&M's Ed Hargett hit end Tommy Maxwell with two touchdown passes for a 14-0 lead. The Aggies controlled the game for the first 29 minutes until Mac White was able to find the end zone from a yard out. The Mustangs went into halftime having cut the lead in half, 14-7.

The SMU offense was never able to get on track the entire day. Luckily for the Mustangs, Wayne Rape picked off a Hargett pass and returned it for a touchdown to tie the score at 14. The score remained tied until Jerry LeVias scored the winning touchdown for the Mustangs on one of the most exciting punt returns in school history.

The Mustang defense had found new life in the second half, keeping the Aggie offense from getting any real scoring threats. After forcing the Aggies to punt, LeVias went in to return the upcoming punt. He caught it at the SMU 17-yard line and was off to the races. He made the first wave of A&M defenders miss and found his way to the left sideline. Once he made it to the sideline, no one was going to catch him in the open field. He sprinted all the way to end zone as his teammates went wild as he ran by. LeVias had scored on an 83-yard punt return to give SMU a 21-14 victory.

After making the first wave miss, LeVias starts getting blocks, and heads toward the shade of the west side of the Cotton Bowl field.

He gets the springing block from Billy Bob Stewart (if I remember right), and heads north.

In the clear, and he's picking up speed.

Past the 50, and goal line in sight.

Crossing the goal line after an 83 yard run. SMU 21 A&M 14.

Sharp looking unis with RED helmets they wore back then. :wink:

This was my 3rd SMU game to see in person. My Dad drove me, and a couple of my brothers in from Longview to see it. He had a saying that if SMU beat A&M, but lost all their other games, it was still a good year.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Planostang: those pics look like they're from a video...? If so, where did you get it and how can I get one?

Is that video from the ESPN show "Beyond the Glory" about LeVias?
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:19 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:Planostang: those pics look like they're from a video...? If so, where did you get it and how can I get one?

Is that video from the ESPN show "Beyond the Glory" about LeVias?

Yup I took the shots with a digital camera aimed at the TV about a month ago , and doctored it up a little with Corel Photo House, and the paint program.

I've got a video of the game films from this game from the SMU Athletic Dept. that I bought 10+ years ago. I did record that documentary about LeVias a couple years ago, but I think it was on Fox Sports. Not sure which video I used.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rayburn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Hmmmmmmm, how can I get old game film from the athletic dept.? Seriously.

Plano, you know you've opened up a can of worms now.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 pm

I was a student at the game. The Cotton Bowl went nuts.

:D
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooPower » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 pm

I recorded that Levias documentary onto my computer. Here are some screen caps.

SmooPower
Heisman

Return to Football