PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sunday's DMN: SMU Craves an Early Win

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sunday's DMN: SMU Craves an Early Win

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:14 pm

UNIVERSITY PARK – Optimism often turns to disappointment for SMU football fans in September.

The last time SMU had a winning September was 1992, when it went 3-1. In the last eight seasons, the Mustangs are 3-27 in the season's traditional opening month.

Players and coaches hope to change that trend.

When SMU opens the season at Ford Stadium against Baylor on Sept. 3, it's probably the first time in his three seasons as coach that Phil Bennett's team has an even chance to win an opener. The last time the schools met, in 2003, Baylor won, 10-7.

The previous two seasons, SMU opened against Texas Tech's high-powered offense and was outscored a combined 85-23 in the losses.

"It will be interesting to see who makes the most improvement from the last time that we played," Bennett said. "We spent a lot of time talking about what we can do as a football team to get better, and one of those things was making our schedule better."

SMU coaches believe they have more depth and speed at the skill positions to achieve a better start.

Bennett said SMU was overscheduled in nonconference play in previous years. It's one thing to play a rival such as TCU, where the possibility of being in a competitive game is possible. But it's difficult to play against ranked opponents such as Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and former Southwest Conference rival Arkansas.

The schedule remains tough this season. SMU plays host to TCU on Sept. 10 before traveling to Texas A&M on Sept. 17 and returning home for its Conference USA opener against Tulane on Sept. 24. Tulane and TCU each come off of losing seasons.

But future schedules have more competitive balance. Texas Tech is on the schedule: the Mustangs visit Lubbock next season, and TCU remains on nonconference schedules.

In 2006, the Mustangs will play Sun Belt conference teams North Texas and Arkansas State and host I-AA opponents Texas State and Sam Houston State.

One key reason for the shift in scheduling is the toll on the players. Too many times, SMU players seemed down emotionally and physically hurt after difficult nonconference games.

Last Sept. 11, SMU lost starting middle linebacker D.D. Lee for the season with an elbow injury during a 44-0 loss to TCU. The following week, SMU lost 59-7 at Oklahoma State. In that game, pass rusher Cory Muse was lost for the season with a knee injury.

"In the past, we had different people with different agendas," defensive end Justin Rogers said. "I think now, we're on the same page and a much more mature team."

Last season, SMU was one of the youngest teams nationally, with 57 freshmen and 28 sophomores on its 112-man roster. This year, Bennett has plans to redshirt the entire incoming freshmen class and can bring redshirt freshmen in slowly instead of rushing them into the lineup.

And this year's nonconference schedule allows for some of that to happen.

"One problem is the schedule, because it's so tough," defensive end Don Ieremia-Stansbury said. "This year, the schedule is more friendly."

Bennett is hoping strong starts, especially in a game against Baylor, can lead to good finishes. Last season, SMU won two of the last three games and in 2002 after a 0-4 start, the Mustangs, won two of their last three games. In 2003, SMU went 0-12.

"The Baylor game is huge if we win it because it builds some confidence for us," Rogers said. "We have a ton of talent, and we need to get off to a strong start. You just can't dwell on the past, if you do, it will kill you."
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:11 am

3-27 pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:25 am

Stallion wrote:3-27 pretty much tells you all you need to know.
:roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby PonyExpress » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:13 am

Stallion wrote:3-27 pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Seriously … why do you follow SMU? You always sound so depressed and completely void of optimism -- about anything.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:32 am

because I refuse to abandon the school's heritage to apologists like you who see nothing to be concerned about after going 3-27 in September. 3-27 is not just a little streak of bad luck -- 3-27 is the self-inflicted result of the planned dismantling of the athletic program by the administration of this university. And because I have had to listen to uninformed cheerleaders like you tell me what a NEAT-O program we are going to have this year for about at least 15 years. I personally don't understand why that wouldn't make any REAL SMU fan want to PUKE.
Stallion

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:45 am

But future schedules have more competitive balance. Texas Tech is on the schedule: the Mustangs visit Lubbock next season, and TCU remains on nonconference schedules.

In 2006, the Mustangs will play Sun Belt conference teams North Texas and Arkansas State and host I-AA opponents Texas State and Sam Houston State.

I don't understand this statement. How can we have 6 OOC games next year?
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:56 am

It states that TCU remains on schedules. They are not scheduled for 2006.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:10 am

it appears to me there is still a dispute as to whether Texas Tech or Texas State is on the 2006 schedule. Texas St. may have been replaced by Sam Houston State Park & Penitentiary but there never has been a definitive announcement by SMU on this.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:59 pm

Stallion wrote:it appears to me there is still a dispute as to whether Texas Tech or Texas State is on the 2006 schedule. Texas St. may have been replaced by Sam Houston State Park & Penitentiary but there never has been a definitive announcement by SMU on this.
As we were entering a funeral visitation at Sparkman-Hillcrest Funeral Home on Loop 12 on Wednesday, May 11, 2005, SMU head football coach Phil Bennett said to me, - quote - "You'll be glad to know that just today we (SMU) put Sam Houston State on the schedule for 2006."

But, no...there's been no 'official' announcement from the SMU Athletic Department.
MrMustang1965

Postby TxSt06 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:29 pm

I'm glad you guys scheduled Texas State and Sam. Gives us a chance to rack up a win against a I-A. Just messing with you guys. I actually like SMU (I am Methodist after all) and was going to go there, but no way could I afford it. We lost to Baylor last year 17-14 on a botched option play, and that was with half of our O-Line hurt and our starting QB out also. WE will give you guys a game I promise, but I hope you guys overlook us. :wink:
Texas State- The Finest Place in Texas
TxSt06

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm

Stallion wrote:I personally don't understand why that wouldn't make any REAL SMU fan want to PUKE.

We have fake SMU fans? I thought those were only at UT and A&M?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Tshoot » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:40 am

Stallion wrote:because I refuse to abandon the school's heritage to apologists like you who see nothing to be concerned about after going 3-27 in September. 3-27 is not just a little streak of bad luck -- 3-27 is the self-inflicted result of the planned dismantling of the athletic program by the administration of this university. And because I have had to listen to uninformed cheerleaders like you tell me what a NEAT-O program we are going to have this year for about at least 15 years. I personally don't understand why that wouldn't make any REAL SMU fan want to PUKE.
Chill homey!!! Relax! In another 30 or 40 years it'll aaalll be over.......
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:01 am

For the record, those 3 wins came against a 2-9 San Jose St team, a 4-7 Kansas team and a 4-7 Arkansas team.

The last time SMU defeated a team with a winning record during the months of August or September was 1995.
SoCal_Pony

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:23 am

Good thing we are playing three teams with losing records last season at home in September this year. We need to be at least 2-2 by then.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby huntnfish » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:07 pm

Playing a good I-AA team makes no sense. You have nothing to gain b/c everyone expects you to win (and you better win) and if you lose you are the embarassment of the week. Playing a D1 school is like the Super Bowl for the Div I-AA schools. We are not good enough to take a Div I-AA school for granted, you better make sure you can win before you schedule them!
huntnfish
Varsity

Next

Return to Football