PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU in September

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What are the chances the Mustangs go 4-0 in September?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:08 am

Zero.
37%
Less than zero.
16%
Dude, seriously, can you get that stuff over the counter?
11%
Slim, but I'd sell Grandma and Uncle Ray up the river to see it.
18%
Dat's why dey play de games!
18%

Total votes : 38

SMU in September

Postby ThadFilms » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:08 am

Am I crazy or can SMU open the season 4-0?

Hear me out on this... Now, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet the first game, and then bet against my Ponies in the next three. Or if I were in the prediction business, I'd have a tough time choosing between 0-4 and 1-3... finally caving into the 1-3 giving the Ponies the edge over BU to open the season (home field advantage, and how well we were prepared for last years season opener).

With that being said... a thought occured to me...

IF we win the Baylor game, we stay home the next week and beat an overconfident and injured TCU squad (coming off of a blowout loss to the Sooners). Boom 2-0.

Then we roll into Kyle Field, a confident bunch who finally has an idea how to win... A&M treats the game as a glorified practice, and SMU pulls out a squeaker.

With three-in-a-row and a W over a top 25 team, the locals take notice, and the Ponies come home to a packed house, and we beat Tulane on sheer emotion.

Of course, it being the Ponies we'd probably lose the next two and I don't know where we'd go from there.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. (And div. 1A playoff system.)

Ahhh... Sunshine daydreams, too easily turn in to nightmares. (Speaking of nightmares, I had one the other night that SMU lost to UTD. Seriously.)

(Poll runs until September Fourth.)

-Thaddeus
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

A&M at Kyle Field is a death march

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:52 am

We will find out if Coach Fran is a sportsman or not after he runs up a BIG lead over SMU at Kyle Field. What he is doing at College Station is going to change the Big 12 South balance of power. This is the wrong time to be playing them there. Does anybody remember what he did to SMU when he was coaching TCU? This could get ugly.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby ThadFilms » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:02 pm

In the interests of full disclosure, I will note that I voted for "zero"... which begs the question, why didn't I include the option "Dude, seriously, why even post this poll?"

I hate posting polls, though, because they never spark debate.

Lastly, if we don't beat Baylor, I think 0-6 is a strong possibility...

I would however give all the money in my bank account and whatever's left over in my wallet to go 4-0... check that. I would give all that money to Copeland's favorite charity. (Don't want anything misconstrued here.)

I should note, that it doesn't amount to much (dollars and cents).

(And no, Sam I Am, it would not surprise me at all if Flan, I mean Fran, in his infite sportsman nature, tried to hang a hundred on our Ponies. What I want is the team to go thinking they are going to post a big score, not trying to post a big score.)

-Thaddeus

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:55 pm

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude,

we're struggling to win four games a year much less four in one month.

let's hope for a win against baylor. that's about all anyone should be thinking about.
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:15 pm

Hoofbeat83 wrote:duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude,

we're struggling to win four games a year much less four in one month.

try four games in 2 years!!!!! :twisted:
PonySnob

Re: A&M at Kyle Field is a death march

Postby LonghornFan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:53 pm

Sam I Am wrote:We will find out if Coach Fran is a sportsman or not after he runs up a BIG lead over SMU at Kyle Field. What he is doing at College Station is going to change the Big 12 South balance of power. This is the wrong time to be playing them there. Does anybody remember what he did to SMU when he was coaching TCU? This could get ugly.

Sorry, but you are wrong about aTm. They have a good chance of having a losing record this season. Their offense is about the only thing they have and even that is suspect. Their defense is about as used a whore on Sunday. They've lost more players to academic ineligibity and arrests than I can shake a stick at. Some people are calling for them to Big XII champs, I'm gonna be surprised if they sniff a bowl this season. Texas Tech, however, is a completely different story.

As I stated in my predictions post (here), I see the Ponies going either 1-3 or 2-2 in their first 4. If they can somehow get a winning record out of their out-of-conference games, then color me impressed (and trust me, I'd like to see it happen). I guess I will just need to see how they play against Baylor and TCU to determine if they can give the Ags a run for their money. But if they do beat them, then I will buy season tickets for both me and my buddy Thad for next season. :D
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:25 am

LonghornFan68 wrote:But if they do beat them, then I will buy season tickets for both me and my buddy Thad for next season. :D

Booyah.

ThadFilms

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:01 am

Like many have said before, our schedule has been WAY to hard for this team the past few years.

We start the season playing (the past few years) ranked TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech blah blah blah. We know

And we get blown out in everyone of them, destorying the heart of the team before the season even starts.

The only game I think we shouldve won was that freakin 03 Baylor game. That team just plain gave up during that game. We should've easily won that game by 10+ points but we played like crap and gave Baylor the game. They guys were just sitting there doing nothing while the biggest crowd that I've seen from SMU in recent years at an away game came and supported them. That is the most students I personally have seen at an away game (well can remember atleast).

We'll see. I expect us to win that Baylor game for sure. And we'll see if we can build off of it. I think the first thing we need to worry about is winning games at home. We play 6 games at home and if we won all of those we would have a winning season just by that.

If we win all our games at home and lose on the road we would still have a 3-1 record in September. Theres no way I think we can beat A&M but stranger things have happened aka Baylor beating A&M last year.

But for us to even think about having a better than good season we have to win againist Baylor. It is a must. Make or break.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby oakley » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:28 am

I hate to spring this on 'stangers, but this BU team is alittle different (alittle more talented and versatile) than the 10-7 team of 2 years ago. Of course, we understand that SMU is a different team, too.

Look at the OLine size and speed comparison; look at the RB size and speed comparison, and look at BU's LBs and DBs speed and size vs. SMU's - - remember that BU has been in the trenches competing against national championship athletes almost every week for the past two seasons. That makes a player grow up quick.

unless BU turns the ball over alot (which is the way we lost several games (3?) last season), there will be little doubt about this game from the first snap.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:40 am

LonghornFan68 wrote: .... Sorry, but you are wrong about aTm. They have a good chance of having a losing record this season. Their offense is about the only thing they have and even that is suspect. .... They've lost more players to academic ineligibity and arrests than I can shake a stick at. Some people are calling for them to Big XII champs, I'm gonna be surprised if they sniff a bowl this season....
I hope you're right, but I'm not sure I agree. For whatever it's worth (not much), the DMN has them ranked in today's paper at #22 (I think) in the country. Reggie McNeal is a freak -- he twice ran a 4.30 for pro scouts in the spring, and he's a much-improved passer. The DMN says they have great receivers -- I'm not so sure I agree. But I do think their offensive line will be better than last year, and I think the new faces on defense last year held them back. Their LBs are pretty damn good -- not like the Coryatt days, but good nonetheless. Better than most. And I kind of like their secondary. (Well, I don't like them, but they're pretty decent.) I think their main defensive questions are up front. I'm afraid that overall, they might be vastly improved over last year.

And while we don't play them this year (meaning I don't care), I'm not as sold on Tech as you are. But I hope even UT (sorry - never been a UT fan) beats the hell out of the The Leach and his crew. If Mack and the boys have a chance to kick some dirt over them by adding a late touchdown after the game is long since out of reach, DO IT.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby oakley » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 am

this use of the term 'poll' might be changed to 'pole', based on the votes.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:52 am

oakley wrote: .... remember that BU has been in the trenches competing against national championship athletes almost every week for the past two seasons. That makes a player grow up quick....
That's the same line we shouted in the late 1980s and early 1990s when A&M and UT were lined up across from us. We'll see your win over A&M last year and raise it with our tie against the Aggies (yes, that's a raise, given the relative place on the college football pecking order of that team versus your team last year). Beyond that, they're very similar. Note to those of you in Wack-o: getting pounded by OU doesn't make you better.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 am

Oakley you sure talk a big game for a fan of a school with an average of 2 wins over Division 1A teams over tha last two years. We've got cheerleaders just as ignorant as you.
Stallion

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:22 am

No kidding. A doormat in a nicer house is still a doormat.
jtstang

Postby BUTitan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:09 am

jtstang wrote:No kidding. A doormat in a nicer house is still a doormat.

Yes we are a doormat, but what do you think ya'll are?

P.S. Baylor 35
SMU 17
BUTitan
Varsity

Next

Return to Football