PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sad Day in SMU History: Kyle Rote Dies in 2002

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sad Day in SMU History: Kyle Rote Dies in 2002

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:54 am

On this day (Aug. 15, 2002): All-American back at SMU, who went on to become a star receiver and popular captain of the N.Y. Giants; won four conference titles and one NFL title (1956); played 11 seasons with the Giants and retired as the teams' all-time leader in receptions, receiving yardage and touchdown receptions; co-starred in the SMU backfield with Doak Walker in 1948-49; runner up in Heisman Trophy voting in 1950; elected to College Football Hall of Fame in 1964; cousin of former NFL quarterback, Tobin. He died of pneumonia following hernia surgery earlier in the month.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

I saw Kyle Rote play in high school

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:29 pm

As a young boy in San Antonio, I saw Kyle Rote play his last high school football game for Jefferson High. His high school colors were red and blue, and their mascot was the mustangs, just like SMU. Pat Knight was in the same high school back field with Kyle and joined him a year later at SMU. I was already an SMU fan and the home town connection made it even better. Thanks for remembering this SMU immortal. Maybe we ought to ask how Kyle Junior is doing these days since he brought a lot of credit to SMU in soccor and the Super Stars competitions.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football