PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Names returning to jerseys this season..

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Names returning to jerseys this season..

Postby WorldStang » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:21 pm

Just saw an article in the SMU Daily Campus saying the names WILL be returning to the jerseys this season? Thought they were gone this year too?

Football News

Last season, 85 out of 112 of SMU’s football players were classified as underclassmen, having either freshman or sophomore status. It made the Mustangs one of the youngest teams in the nation. This year they have the highest number of returning starters in the country, with 22 players who started in at least six games last season. Needless to say, this team will be a lot more experienced than last season’s. Players’ names will also be returning to the team uniforms after taking a hiatus last season. And finally, on a personal note, SMU Head Football Coach Phil Bennett got married this summer.
[/b]
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:56 pm

Thank god - names never should have gone away. Good move.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby LonghornFan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Yeah, I'm not privvy to the whole story behind the no-names decision, but I thought it was a bad idea. You know it's bad when I lean over to my buddy Thad and ask him who number so-and-so is and even HE doesn't know. Heh.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:07 am

LonghornFan68 wrote:...You know it's bad when I lean over to my buddy Thad and ask him who number so-and-so is and even HE doesn't know. Heh.

All right, all right!

Of course I knew the names! You'd ask me, "Who's forty-seven?" I'd respond, "Oh, it's a number 47." Serioulsy. Dude's name is #47.

I didn't really like to begin with, but since it happened, I was hoping the players would earn their names back with a winning season.

Well, here's hoping for a winning season anyway.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football