PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: McMurtray wants payback...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN: McMurtray wants payback...

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:33 am

SMU kicker wants chance for payback vs. Baylor

11:55 PM CDT on Monday, August 15, 2005

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – If there's anyone looking forward to the season opener against Baylor, it's senior kicker Chris McMurtray. In 2003, he missed a potential game-tying 38-yard field goal with 8:32 to play in the fourth quarter. SMU lost, 10-7.

"I take full responsibility," he said. "But I know I want another chance to help the team."
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

3's instead of 7's

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:58 am

So far the SMU offense has been 3's instead of 7's. That's what gets you beat, not missing kicks.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby giacfsp » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:03 am

I like a kicker who wants another shot at a game-winner. I also like a kicker who hits 89 percent of his field goals, as McMurtray did last year. He should have a big year -- he's a hell of a kicker.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:38 pm

a big time choke will get you beat... the difference in winners and losers
Bergermeister

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:01 pm

He mighty of missed the kick but we all remember the game.

Our players just plain gave up. Theres no deny that. They seem to not even care if they won it or not. I still dont get the call to punt it with less than 3 minutes to go in the game?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Dooby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:01 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:I still dont get the call to punt it with less than 3 minutes to go in the game?

As I mentioned a long time ago on this board, the offense in 2003 was so pathetic, there were legitimately times when I thought our defense had a better chance to score than our offense. I at least considered the possibility that our secondary might pick off a pass or our linebackers might pick up a fumble and take it to the house. The offense, I had no such faith in, let alone move down the field and scoring.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:04 pm

That's true. That was in the days of KK left, KK right, KK up the middle. Not that we're going to make anyone forget Texas Tech's or Louisville's offense right now, but the offensive potency has gone from having Gary Hogeboom to Troy Aikman (with Smith, Irvin, Novacek, etc.) -- not that we'll necessarily put up tons of points, but the ABILITY to score is miles ahead of where it was then.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:03 am

It's better now than what the Mustang band used to call,, "Rosley up the middle, Rosley up the middle, Rossley up the middle, PUNT!"

But then again, Rossley's now (and has been for a while) the offensive coordinator for the GB Packers.

Darn. I wish we had Rossley my Frosh. year.... we would have been BOWLING!!!!

I loved Cavan. I worked for him. But, knowing now what I know now... we would have been in a bowl that year (1997).
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby oakley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:49 am

if practice reports are to be believed, one would find it highly unlikely and thus improbable that this kicker will get much satisfaction from his redemptive 2nd chances on Sep3
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 am

Thanks coach! We'll show up anyway.
Stallion

Postby JudgeChamber » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:25 am

oakley wrote:if practice reports are to be believed, one would find it highly unlikely and thus improbable that this kicker will get much satisfaction from his redemptive 2nd chances on Sep3

It's true. I've heard the linemen are going to buy HIM a steak dinner, if he'll stop hitting them in the back with his FG attempts.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby BrianTinBigD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:15 pm

Gotta tell you that he was nailing everything the day I saw him. 50+ on a regular basis. Missed kicks can be the result of many things in practice, especially early in the year. Things like trying out back up deep snappers, emergency holders, etc... What I love about the kid is the increased distance in his leg. Bennett skipped multiple shots at long FG attempts last year due to field position concerns and the fact that 3's were not gonna get us back in the game.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby stentman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:43 pm

McMurtray is an outstanding kicker! Hopefully, we will be in a position to kick a lot more FGs this year--it's hard to go for three points when we are often trailing by over 20. If given more reps, everyone will see what an excellent weapon he is. Some people judge a kid by a single missed attempt 2 years ago--those people need to get a life!
stentman

Postby ProudPonyPa » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:10 pm

I have liked Chris since he kicked for Rowlett. He can nail'em with his left or right foot!

Funny, though, this same crowd was so against him when he got the scholarship.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:13 pm

ProudPonyPa wrote:Funny, though, this same crowd was so against him when he got the scholarship.

Just shows you that the coaches know more than most posters on this message board. They apparently recognized his talent when they awarded the scholarship.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football