PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football Practice

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby oakley » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:05 pm

uh-oh, someone's about to blow a gasket.

take deep breathes - and try to relax.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:07 pm

actually, just my standard response to bigotry.

but back to football...
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby WorldStang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:17 pm

No.. this is SMU eye candy.. hello Amber Campisi

BAYLOR UNDER INVESTIGATION AGAIN???? DRUGS, NARCS, MURDER..

Baylor regent under investigation by university officials

By BRIAN GAAR, CINDY V. CULP and J.B. SMITH Tribune-Herald staff writers
After refusing a request to resign, a member of Baylor University's Board of Regents on Friday became the official target of an internal investigation into whether she tipped off Baylor students to an ongoing undercover drug sting operation on campus, several sources said.

Jaclanel Moore McFarland, a Houston attorney and board member since 2001, has told Baylor officials that she did not tip off anyone to the drug operation, saying she did not even know that one was under way until after several arrests were made late last month, sources said.

A visibly upset McFarland left a Baylor Board of Regents meeting early Friday afternoon and declined to comment.

Larry Brumley, a Baylor spokesman, did not respond to questions regarding the investigation.

"The university cannot comment on confidential board matters," he said.

Baylor officials, including Board Chairman Drayton McLane Jr., of Temple, have told McFarland that a preliminary investigation of McFarland was done and the results were given to a subcommittee of the regents, known as the Board Council, which had concluded that there was enough information to warrant a full investigation by the Board of Regents if McFarland did not resign.

That investigation, launched Friday, could result in McFarland becoming the first regent in Baylor's 158-year history to be impeached and removed from the governing board.

McFarland, an outspoken critic of Baylor President Robert Sloan, Jr., has maintained that she is the subject of a vendetta by Sloan, several sources said.

In a meeting involving McFarland, McLane and Sloan, held on May 9 in McLane's Houston offices, Sloan at one point demanded the resignation of McFarland, one of 36 regents who are collectively Sloan’s boss, sources said.

At the heart of the controversy is an April 29 undercover drug sting conducted by Baylor's Department of Public Safety. In that operation, six people were arrested for selling illegal drugs and one other was arrested for possession of illegal drugs.

Sources said the undercover operation was ongoing for nearly a year. A Baylor police officer conducted the operation posing as a freshman student.

During the time he was undercover, the officer, under his real name, enrolled in classes and took part in fraternity rush. He lived in Penland Hall, a student dorm, with other students, and eventually was invited to join Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

The operation was compromised earlier than its intended end date when the officer's cover was blown, a source said. Members of Baylor's police department did not know about the ongoing operation, nor did some members of the Board of Regents, several sources said.

It is unclear who on the Board of Regents was informed of the ongoing operation.

The resulting arrests were minor in nature as compared to what Baylor law enforcement had been hoping for and Baylor Police Chief Jim Doak was subjected to criticism by administration officials, a source said.

Members of the Agriplex Drug Task Force were present for the arrests, along with deputies from the McLennan County Sheriff's Department. A law enforcement source said the two agencies were there as a courtesy to Baylor police, and to assist if necessary, but were not directly involved in the drug investigation.

The arrests occurred at Baylor dorms and at apartment complexes near the campus, within Baylor's jurisdiction. A university source indicated that Chief Doak was under some scrutiny from Baylor administration for the amount of time and money put into the operation and the lack of better results. The source also indicated there were rumors that someone from the administration had blown the officer's cover.

In an electronic mail sent to Baylor students on May 5, Doak said the officer went through fraternity rush as a part of the sting operation and was invited to join Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, which he did.

No members of the fraternity were arrested, but sources said that some of the fraternity members ultimately asked the officer if he, indeed, was an undercover operative.

Baylor officials said the leak that exposed this officer placed him in physical danger.

The link to McFarland, the Baylor regent, was made through her son, 22-year-old Allen McFarland, once a member of the fraternity, sources said.

Members of the fraternity declined to talk about the incident on Friday.

The younger McFarland withdrew from Baylor last spring for medical reasons and has been working at the Houston law office where his mother and father are both attorneys, several sources said.

While the younger McFarland keeps in touch with friends in the fraternity, he has told other friends that he was not aware of the undercover sting operation until after the arrests had been made.

Following the arrests, several sources said, Chief Doak began questioning several members of the TKE fraternity and, ultimately, asked them if they had been tipped off to the officer by either McFarland.

At one point, Regent McFarland was told that she was the subject of a criminal investigation, sources said. It is unclear, however, what law or laws, if any, may have been broken.

The most likely charge would be hindering apprehension or prosecution. The Texas Penal Code defines that charge as being when someone provides someone else with a means of avoiding arrest or warns them of impending discovery or apprehension.

The offense is a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a possible sentence of confinement in jail for up to a year, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

Another possible charge could be the broader offense of interference with the public duties of a peace officer. That charge is defined by the penal code as when someone, with criminal negligence, interrupts, impedes or otherwise interferes with a peace officer performing his or her duty. It is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail, a fine of up to $2,000 or both.

Local law enforcement officials say both charges are rarely used.

As part of the initial investigation of McFarland conducted by Baylor, two Austin attorneys — Steve McConnico and Julie Springer, both of whom are graduates of Baylor Law School and work for the firm Scott, Douglass & McConnico — came to Waco and were present during the questioning of the fraternity members by Chief Doak, several sources said.

Springer, reached Friday at her Austin office, refused to comment on the situation and referred all questions to the university. McConnico did not return phone calls Friday afternoon.

McFarland is serving her second term as a Baylor regent. She was on the board from 1991 to 2000 and some credit her with being one of Sloan’s strongest supporters when regents were deciding on whether to hire him in 1995.

Lately, however, sources say McFarland has become one of the board's most vocal critics of Sloan’s performance, particularly concerning the amount of debt Sloan is incurring for Baylor as part of its so-called "Baylor 2012" building program.

"She was opposed to Baylor 2012," said a former regent who once served alongside McFarland. "She has increasingly clashed with Robert over the direction of the university."

Nonetheless, the former regent expressed shock that the board was investigating one of its own.

"I've never heard of such a thing," the former regent said. "I can't think of anything you could tell me that would surprise me more."

In one incident last winter, McFarland led a charge in demanding a meeting with Sloan when several regents discovered that Sloan was about to buy a $2.3 million airplane without board approval, sources said.

Ultimately, Sloan met with several members of the board to discuss the issue and the board agreed to let him buy the airplane.

What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Dooby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:29 pm

Does SMU own a plane? Seems pretty frivolous.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Dooby wrote:Does SMU own a plane? Seems pretty frivolous.
Perhaps not when you live in Waco...how the hell else are you going to get out of there in a hurry?
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Football Practice

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:24 pm

SMU88 wrote:I have been reading this site for years but this is my first time posting.

I was wandering what is going in the football practices? I don't live in Dallas anymore so I am looking to you guys to keep feeding me with the updates.

My best friend, a Mississippi State Alumni, gets all his information from Rivals and is constantly printing the articles and pointing out how great his team is going to be. Sure would love to print some facts and show him, how great our team is going to be this year!

I tell you, I look at the schedule and it brings a big smile to my face to see SMU facing some of the old SWC teams!! Go Stangs!!!

Welcome 88!

I am looking forward to seeing more practice reports myself. But, rest assured, I will post my own reactions to the scrimmage on Saturday.

-T
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 pm

So far this is one misleading and disappointing thread. :roll:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:44 am

The PonyGrad wrote:So far this is one misleading and disappointing thread. :roll:

Indeed sir... much like those times your friends tried to set you up with that girl "who you're really gonna' like!"

... Ten minutes later ... "um, check? ... PLEASE! ... NOW!"
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby SMU88 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:35 am

I don't know how we got to talking about Baylor. All I wanted to know was how our football team was doing as they get prepared for their first game.

Thank you Thad Films. I appreciate the welcome and I look forward to your commentary on Saturday's scrimmage.
SMU88
Junior Varsity

Postby oakley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:44 am

We started talking about Baylor because BaylorFans have better scoop on what is happening at Bennett's closed practices.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby Grider » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:18 am

oakley wrote:We started talking about Baylor because BaylorFans have better scoop on what is happening at Bennett's closed practices.

So "oakley" ......what is that your favorite brand of sunglasses? I'm guessin you like to wear them with your jeanshorts and softball tourney t-shirt.
Grider
All-American

Postby 2112 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 am

WOW! I guess that's a pretty good compliment, that powerhouse Baylor is worried about lil' ole SMU enough to scout our practices! :wink: With all of the trash they have been talking mabey, just mabey.......they won't run it up to bad on us! :lol:
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:40 am

I would suggest if they are going to scout our practices they hire someone who has a clue about football as their "reports" are laughable (to be kind) and obviously clouded by their green/gold colored glasses.
PK

Postby JudgeChamber » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:19 am

Hoofbeat83 wrote:and therein lies the difference between baylor and SMU. let me guess, you still don't let your coeds discuss birth control either. are blacks and jews allowed on your campus? do you even allow the world 'evolution' to be spoken? a degree from your bogus narrow minded "university" is about as respectable as that from oral roberts or bob jones.

take your bible-thumpin', tee-totalin', hypocritical a** back to your own, god forsaken town and site and get the hell (heck, sorry) off of ours.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right... This guy has it ALL together.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby Dooby » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:27 pm

oakley wrote: [deleted]

Looks like he's trying to dance. I thought that wasn't allowed.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football